Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it work to change a 6spd freewheel to a 7spd one on an old Campy 126mm hub?
Given the bike has friction shifters.

In theory I would think it works since I am using friction shifting. The rear derailleur wouldn't know how many speed I have.

I guess the only possible problem would be the chain's width, but even that I would think should be compatible.

Can anyone confirm this please.

Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
kdub said:
Would it work to change a 6spd freewheel to a 7spd one on an old Campy 126mm hub?

In theory I would think it works since I am using friction shifting. The rear derailleur wouldn't know how many speed I have.

I guess the only possible problem would be the chain's width, but even that I would think should be compatible.

Thanks! :)
You're correct about the friction shifting. The rear derailleur wouldn't know how many speeds you have. But, some derailleurs have travel limits that preclude swinging over too many cogs. As a practical matter, though, the diff between 6- and 7-speed is slight, and shouldn't be a problem.

IIRC, inside-link chain width wasn't different between the two, but it's been awhile. I have a six-speed bike and a seven-speed bike in the stable, and I run the same kind of SRAM chain on both (I think it's now sold as "eight-speed" chain.)

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Spacing

kdub said:

Chain is not an issue with any derailleur chain that you could buy today. You might have to add an extra washer to the freewheel side of the axle to make sure that you have clearance between the chain and dropout when it is on the smallest cog.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Chain is not an issue with any derailleur chain that you could buy today. You might have to add an extra washer to the freewheel side of the axle to make sure that you have clearance between the chain and dropout when it is on the smallest cog.
my thought as well - sometimes can take a washer from NDS and move to DS - spacing stays the same but might need to recenter wheel.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I recently went from a 6spd to 7spd freewheel on my Campy Record 1982 hub. Didn't need to do anything further aside from a minor adjustment to the rear-derailleur. I used the same SRAM chain as well.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
The way I remember it, 5/6 speed chains were the old type, with bushings. Sedisport came out with a bushingless "ultra" chain for 7 speed. I believe that the "new" narrow type chain would also work on the older 5/6 speed freewheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.