Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping people can help me out... I'm not too familiar with 80s Campy parts but find myself in possession of a pair of non-aero brake levers and calipers. I don't think they're Super Record (no holes drilled in levers) so maybe they're Nuovo Record? I have no idea about the calipers... maybe Nuovo Record as well? Anyway, if anyone could help me in identifying an approximate year and value, it'd be much appreciated. If anyone would like to purchase these off me, then PM me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
These look like some I have and I think they date back into the mid to late 80's. Those look like aero styled brake levers and those came out after the non-aero Nuovo/Super Records levers that came out earlier. Also the quick release levers have a domed shape and the ones from the early 70's had a flat shape so that also points to the 80's as well. I'm not sure how long they made the aero styled levers though.
 

·
Bikespace member
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
the calipers look from 78 to 83. in 78 the laws changed and the QR levers went from flat to domed, and in 84 campagnolo changed from the block lettering to the script lettering on the calipers. the levers i'm not familiar with design and year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks for the info. The levers are non-aero -- bad photos don't show it well enough. I'm trying to get a handle on how much they're worth since a friend gave them to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Not matched

The calipers are Nuovo Record and as the other OP notes, with flat QR's. You should measure the reach, they might even be normal reach versus short reach, the latter coming out in 1974-1975. The levers are from the early 90's, maybe Athena.

shinsplints said:
I'm hoping people can help me out... I'm not too familiar with 80s Campy parts but find myself in possession of a pair of non-aero brake levers and calipers. I don't think they're Super Record (no holes drilled in levers) so maybe they're Nuovo Record? I have no idea about the calipers... maybe Nuovo Record as well? Anyway, if anyone could help me in identifying an approximate year and value, it'd be much appreciated. If anyone would like to purchase these off me, then PM me. :)
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
boneman said:
The calipers are Nuovo Record and as the other OP notes, with flat QR's. You should measure the reach, they might even be normal reach versus short reach, the latter coming out in 1974-1975. The levers are from the early 90's, maybe Athena.


I think the levers are earlier than that... based on the grey hoods and lack of 'button' qr at the top of the lever body. early 90s is also when campy 'plugged' the hood point for aero cable routing, so if the cable is designed to come out the top it's def earlier than early 90s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Could be

By then I had left Campag to go to Shimano as that Synchro period was like a bad dream. Notwithstanding the beauty of C-Record, their indexing was complete, as the English say, shite. Ha ha, I've since return to the Campag fold although I still ride DA.

FatTireFred said:
I think the levers are earlier than that... based on the grey hoods and lack of 'button' qr at the top of the lever body. early 90s is also when campy 'plugged' the hood point for aero cable routing, so if the cable is designed to come out the top it's def earlier than early 90s
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
boneman said:
By then I had left Campag to go to Shimano as that Synchro period was like a bad dream. Notwithstanding the beauty of C-Record, their indexing was complete, as the English say, shite. Ha ha, I've since return to the Campag fold although I still ride DA.


my chorus from ~1991 or so w/ synchro II has brake levers w/ black hoods, aero cable routing, and button qr... op's levers are not from the 90s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Levers are early C-Record, also listed as just Record in some catalogs, often paired with Cobalto brakes. They can be used as aero. Look inside to see if they look like this photo.



If so, then that notch can be removed to allow use as an aero lever IF you have the small bridge piece that fits inside the blade. See image below for more detail.



Calipers do not have flat Q/R as someone said. The domed Q/R puts them as post CPSC, say 1976 or later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! A friend mentioned that they may actually be aero levers; it's just that there's a plug missing. Thanks to everyone who responded.
 

·
l'illustre sconosciuto
Joined
·
321 Posts
Just as a word of warning, I believe that the brake calipers have been disassembled at some time and reassembled incorrectly. It looks like the center bolt was inverted which means that the springs are too low. Check out whether it says Brev Camp on the bottom side of the centerbolt. (It could also be an optical illusion caused by the angle of the photo)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top