Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some beanz from a highly regarded coffee place the other day. I used them to make some French press this morning and the pot of joe was terrible. Thin, watery, with that old coffee bean taste to it.

Ever the optimist, I gave em another chance this evening and used the beanz to make some Biagletti espresso. Once again, blech! Thin, old bean tasting.

I looked at the side of the coffee bag. It says "Roasted Aug 18". So they're over a month old. The bag has one of those air valves on it.

Are these beans dead? I've never bought beanz from this highly regarded joint before. Should I give them another chance and buy a more recent the roast date?

Or should the beans have still been good?

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Aren't you in college? Be happy its dark and possibly caffeine laden.

Go study. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,837 Posts
il sogno said:
I bought some beanz from a highly regarded coffee place the other day. I used them to make some French press this morning and the pot of joe was terrible. Thin, watery, with that old coffee bean taste to it.

Ever the optimist, I gave em another chance this evening and used the beanz to make some Biagletti espresso. Once again, blech! Thin, old bean tasting.

I looked at the side of the coffee bag. It says "Roasted Aug 18". So they're over a month old. The bag has one of those air valves on it.

Are these beans dead? I've never bought beanz from this highly regarded joint before. Should I give them another chance and buy a more recent the roast date?

Or should the beans have still been good?
I'd give 'em one more chance with fresh product. Roasted beans are good for about two weeks, even when air-bagged.

Edit: Wait, why was the reputable place selling old coffee? Take the beans back, and ask for fresh beans.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
ditch the French press and get a percolator

·
Registered
61 Posts
screw the coffee place and roast your own coffee. Buy the green coffee beans from all around the world at www.sweetmarias.com and buy an air popcorn popper. It is pretty easy and coffee doesn't get any fresher than that.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BentChainring said:
Aren't you in college? Be happy its dark and possibly caffeine laden.

Go study. :)
Study schmudy! I just got out of a four hour long graduate placement test. Even the PhD students were complaining about how hard that thing was! I'm gonna have a beer!

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thinkcooper said:
Was it the place I sent you to?
Yeah. :(

I got these beans at the Whole Foods.

I just talked to Mappy he suggested I return the bag to WF and get a fresher batch. I'ma do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
il sogno said:
They carry beans from the local the highly regarded place.
The ones our stores stock isn't anything special compared to a few local roasters. Was the bag still vacuumed tight? Shouldn't have gone bad that quickly, bring it it back they are pretty good about easy exchanges there.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
e34john said:
The ones our stores stock isn't anything special compared to a few local roasters. Was the bag still vacuumed tight? Shouldn't have gone bad that quickly, bring it it back they are pretty good about easy exchanges there.
Yeah the bag was airtight with one of them airlock things on it. I'm bringing it back tomorrow. I think I want a darker roast anyway.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
il sogno said:
Interesting. Looks like some good stuff there.

But I wanna buy local.
local LA coffee beans?.......I did not know they grew this far from the equator....

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
jcaddyer said:
screw the coffee place and roast your own coffee. Buy the green coffee beans from all around the world at www.sweetmarias.com and buy an air popcorn popper. It is pretty easy and coffee doesn't get any fresher than that.

This!!! I have the iRoast 2, best freaking experience EVAR!!!! :thumbsup:

e34john said:
Whole Foods is highly regarded coffee bean vendor now?
Most of the Whole Foods in Houston, Roast in their stores so you can see it in action and know the beans are fresh!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The Rule of 15's

Green coffee beans can be kept for 15 months.

Roasted coffee beans are good for 15 days (if packaged carefully).

Ground coffee is good for 15 minutes.

Those beans were a month old when you bought them. Unless they'd been kept frozen, there wasn't much chance they'd be any good. Of course, they may have just been crappy beans in the first place.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
local LA coffee beans?.......I did not know they grew this far from the equator....

tferris (I think he's ToF now) was trying to grow coffee in Oregon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts