Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
All natural
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too late? :confused:

I have a stack of CDs that I want to convert to mp3 for portability.

I need a recommendation for a player - ipod?
I want decent sound - earphones? Do any of them have good bass?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Non iPods are cheaper and non-proprietary. You have a wider variety of software options.

iPods control 80% of the market. If you buy an iPod you're kind of (but not truly) stuck with iTunes, but they are designed to work together, so there's that. A lot more accessories are available for the iPod than non-iPod players.

I owned to sandisk players before switching to an iPod. The sandisks were nice little players for the price, but didn't have what I was looking for when it was time to upgrade. The main criteria for me was memory - I went from 2 gigs to 16 because I got tired of adding/removing stuff from my player.

Figure out what you want and what you want to do with it. Then play around with a few and find what you like.

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
Get a Rhapsody account and buy an approved player, like a Sandisk Sansa that will hold a huge media card. Rhapsody has more music than you could ever imagine.

Also, Etymotic er6i FTW!

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I used MP3 players as long as I could before I invested in an iPod. I haven't looked back really. iPod will play MP3 and import or play most of the other formats as well. Since you have the CD's it is easy to import in to iTunes and organize your music.

Widows Media Player although functional is not nearly as elegant as iTunes. With most of the standard players out there Media Player is functional.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
encode at 320Kbps VBR if you are choosing the MP3 format. flac is a much better audio format but the iPod doesn't play them natively...

·
All natural
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
asciibaron said:
encode at 320Kbps VBR if you are choosing the MP3 format. flac is a much better audio format but the iPod doesn't play them natively...
Is there a site where I can learn about this stuff?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
BobH said:
What about earphones?
iTunes software controls the iPod. Install iTunes with default settings, pop a CD in the computer and it'll import the disc which gets sent to iPod when you plug it into computer to update. iTunes (normally) will compress the music to make the files smaller, and they sound fine. Not great, high-end audiophile quality, but fine. If you use the standard Apple earbuds, there's probably not much difference between this and a less compressed file. Buy better ($50 up to whatever you want to spend) earbuds and you will hear a difference, especially with less compressed music files but you'll fit a lot less of them on the iPod.

So, leave the stuff with the default settings and use the freebie earbuds. Sounds fine, it's easy and tons of songs will fit on the iPod. Easy. Where to learn? You're thinking too much. :)

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
BobH said:
What model ipod do you have?
They (family) all have Nano's. Work well for music. The ear buds have good quality sound but not as much bass as you can get with full head phones.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have an iPod Touch. I hate it. It f**ks up all the music I have that I did not buy from Apple. It"s going on eBay next week.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Forget the ipud.

I'm a fan of the Sansa Clip. Dirt cheap, small, thousands of songs, no videos.
Play by Album, Artist, Song Title, random, or a 50 song Go list.

I use Windows Media Player to rip and organize.
Just rip as a mp3, and drag to your Clip.

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Forget the ipud.

I'm a fan of the Sansa Clip. Dirt cheap, small, thousands of songs, no videos.
Play by Album, Artist, Song Title, random, or a 50 song Go list.

I use Windows Media Player to rip and organize.
Just rip as a mp3, and drag to your Clip.
+1. Love my Sansa.

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
I used a Creative MuVo MP3 player: excellent value and very easy to use but it ended up going in the washing machine in my baggy shorts after a ride... Another cheap MP3 player died because I would tuck it between my jersey and bibs and the sweat killed it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts