Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into fixing up an old road bike (pun intended). I found the bike (pictured below) but wasn't sure of the rear drop out situation until I got to the place. I was hoping for horiz. drop outs, but that's not the case. But it does have a very slight slant to it. Do you think, with some half-links, it would be possible to do this conversion without an ENO hub?

(Also, I have no idea what kind of a frame it is. Posted in the retro sub-forum in hopes of finding out. If anyone knows, please post. :D).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot about the magic gear ratio. My current fixed gear (Steamroller) is at 48x18, and looks like 42x16 is about perfect (about the same GI). Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice frame. If you can't get the chain tension, the White Eno Eccentric hub will take out any chain slack. White makes some nice gear...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick question for those that have used magic gear ratio: Are they pretty dead on? I've measured The chainstay from center to center (16.125") and it's spitting back 42x16. Just don't want to spend the money for those parts to find out it doesn't work.

I will be going with ENO hub in the near future, though.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Don't know about the accuracy of those calculations, but there's more leeway in chain tension than a lot of people realize.

BTW, it's never "some" half links. You'd never use more than one, since two is the same as one regular link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts