Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking inventory of my bike equipment collected throughout the years and came across a set of tublar race wheels I had built years ago. I don't think I ever put even 500 miles on them. The problem is the rear has an 8 speed freewheel on it.

Now that I'm on 10 speed, what to do with it? Can it be made 10 speed somehow, or is there something else creative to do with it?

-eric

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Single speed maybe?

I took an old 6 speed Suntour, kept the 16t cog and used the threaded 14t cog to hold it in place. It makes a very heavy, but workable SS freewheel.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I was taking inventory of my bike equipment collected throughout the years and came across a set of tublar race wheels I had built years ago. I don't think I ever put even 500 miles on them. The problem is the rear has an 8 speed freewheel on it.

Now that I'm on 10 speed, what to do with it? Can it be made 10 speed somehow, or is there something else creative to do with it?
It's a threaded hub. The only thing that can ever go on it is something threaded, like a freewheel or a single speed freewheel or a fixed gear. 8 speed freewheels are pretty rare for road bikes but are available. MTB 8 speed freewheels are more common but not exactly optimum gear ratios for the road.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

-eric
Build up a retro and have some fun with it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.