Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - been riding MTB's for 18 + years - yep 40+ here. Dabbled in road riding during my sport class racing days - long gone. Still ride hard, but do not want to spend $2K plus for a road bike as I still mainly hit dirt 70% of my riding time (7-10) hours saddle time/week. Been looking at 105 equiped as bottom line. Felt F75, Specialized Allez Elite, Orbea Volata, some bikes at bikesdirect .com (names like Windsor, Motobecane, etc), Giant OCR 1, etc. Any input from you experts? I am 6' 3" 215 lb, which I am sure matters in my purchase. 105 acceptable/durable? Bike suggestions? Bikes at bikedirect.com - a safe buy or mainly getting a parts spec on a cheap frame? Other brands/bikes in the $1K to $1.5 K +/-range? Also RScycles has Tommaso's (or some similar name) for a decent price.

Also triple or double compact? Appreciate your thoughts.

Zig

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
Zig said:
OK - been riding MTB's for 18 + years - yep 40+ here. Dabbled in road riding during my sport class racing days - long gone. Still ride hard, but do not want to spend $2K plus for a road bike as I still mainly hit dirt 70% of my riding time (7-10) hours saddle time/week. Been looking at 105 equiped as bottom line. Felt F75, Specialized Allez Elite, Orbea Volata, some bikes at bikesdirect .com (names like Windsor, Motobecane, etc), Giant OCR 1, etc. Any input from you experts? I am 6' 3" 215 lb, which I am sure matters in my purchase. 105 acceptable/durable? Bike suggestions? Bikes at bikedirect.com - a safe buy or mainly getting a parts spec on a cheap frame? Other brands/bikes in the $1K to $1.5 K +/-range? Also RScycles has Tommaso's (or some similar name) for a decent price.

Also triple or double compact? Appreciate your thoughts.

Zig
Trek & Specialized both have models in the low $1k range.

Nothing wrong with Bikes Direct bikes, but I wouldn't recommend one for your first roadie - cough up the extra bucks to talk to a shop and get something that will work for you.

105 equipped is not bottom of the line - it's middle of the road.

·
Banned
476 Posts
on the other hand

if you can get Ultegra for the same money buy buying online
why not?

it is well know that all the bikes in this range are made in the same way by mostly the same factories in Taiwan

I love the new style 10-speed shifters - Ultegra and DuraAce
so I would do whatever I could to avoid a bike with 9-speed rear cogs [as it is now dated]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through this process when I bought a road bike in January. Long-time MTB'er - wanting to see how the other half lives.

For myself, I ended up with a closeout '05 Specialized Roubaix (105/Ultegra for $1050). It's a triple & I've been disappointed with the front shifting. If you can get the same range in a compact double, I'd recommend it over the 105-level triple.

I, too was tempted by the bikesdirect offerings & have the good fortune to be right down the street from a Cycle Spectrum (same parent company) - so I actually got to test ride the Windsor & Motobecane bikes I saw online. Long story short - nice bikes, but horrible fit for me.

After testing the OCR1, my mind was made up - the compact frame geometry was much more comfortable to me than classic geometry. It was a real toss-up between the OCR1 & the Roubaix, but I'm shallow & went for the one that was purty.

One word of warning: Expect that 70% trails figure to dwindle precipitously. The speed is unbelievably addictive - combine that with the convenience of not having to "go somewhere" to ride - has cut my singletrack outings from 3/week to 2/month. It'll come back - I hope. Maybe I need to start looking for a new MTB?

·
Registered
343 Posts
didnt they just upgrade the new 105's this year to 10 speed? And with the new more dur ace ish shape. I have old 105's and am quite happy. Enough quality, and not so expensive that i worry about riding it. Same things i look for in MTB components.

I would go with double, I second the not exactly thrilled with the front dir shifting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nothing like

tdhood said:
I went through this process when I bought a road bike in January. Long-time MTB'er - wanting to see how the other half lives.

For myself, I ended up with a closeout '05 Specialized Roubaix (105/Ultegra for $1050). It's a triple & I've been disappointed with the front shifting. If you can get the same range in a compact double, I'd recommend it over the 105-level triple.

I, too was tempted by the bikesdirect offerings & have the good fortune to be right down the street from a Cycle Spectrum (same parent company) - so I actually got to test ride the Windsor & Motobecane bikes I saw online. Long story short - nice bikes, but horrible fit for me.

After testing the OCR1, my mind was made up - the compact frame geometry was much more comfortable to me than classic geometry. It was a real toss-up between the OCR1 & the Roubaix, but I'm shallow & went for the one that was purty.

One word of warning: Expect that 70% trails figure to dwindle precipitously. The speed is unbelievably addictive - combine that with the convenience of not having to "go somewhere" to ride - has cut my singletrack outings from 3/week to 2/month. It'll come back - I hope. Maybe I need to start looking for a new MTB?
a new ride to change your riding habits! Maybe I can maintain a 50/50 split. Yes, leaving from my front door is appealling.

Anyone have an opinion on Tommaso bikes? RS cycles seems to have some sweet deals, but as someone else stated, probably should do the LBS route so I get fitted correctly.

Thanks for input.

Zig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts