Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife came home last weekend after an afternoon of yardsale-ing and brought home an old peugeot road bike of unknown vintage thinking I might mant to try to get it operational again. It was free BTW, it doesn't look like its worth much, but its got a cool old style lugged steel frame, nad the cool flat-top forks, etc. I have been staring at it for a few days and thinking about stripping it down, and building it up as a singlespeed tool-around bike with some mustache bars or something.

It looks like (besides a LOT of elbow grease) it'll need a new chain, rear sprockets/spacers, cables, etc and whatever else I might want to do to make it look pretty. I'm thinking a rattlecan flat black paint job with some gold paint pen lines around the old lugs, and a tan saddle and bar tape to bring it all together.

My question, is this even worth the time and money (maybe $100 budget?) it'll take to get it running, or should I just give it away and look for a better project to start with? I'll post a few pictures tonight if I can remember to.

Ian

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
It is worth it? that's up to you. Unless it's a PX10, it's probably not worth much. That being said, it will make a great fixed gear. Just make sure the BB, stem, and seat post are in good shape. A lot of old Peugeot use french threaddding, different diameters and they can be a pain to find replacement parts.

A PX10 will have the shifters on the downtube not on the stem and chances are the seat and chain stays will be chrome. If the bike has either of the above, hold off until you can determine it's worth. It would be a shame to hack up a PX10.

Do you have a picture?

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
ouch! a U-08 that's definately seen better days.

gonna be a chore doing much with that bike. being a bike boom era french bike it's gonna have french spec parts on it, and as the old adage goes; there's the right way, the wrong way, and the french way...

not to slag on french bikes, mind you, restoring them is a bit of a passion of mine. my daily driver is a 30 year old andre bertin, if you saw it you'd never guess it was even half that age. i just finished restoring a '77 bertin for my sister, turned out as sweet as could be, but i probably put a hundred hours into that job.

french frames are known for being nice riding and rather strong, but sourcing parts for them is quite the chore; sheldon brown is your friend, and a good micrometer is indispensible.

good luck, eric

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Here are a couple of inspiration shots

If you go to fixedgeargallery.com and search for Peugeot, you will see tons of examples, from PX10's down.

Absolutely, fixed gear it is. You can do it on the cheap if you do it yourself. Do not paint it. If you do, any style would be lost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, racerx. That 2nd picture looks a lot like it, although much nicer. I think that's kinda what I was going for. I'm not ready for fixed gear riding, and I don't want to spend much, so I think single speed will be the way to go.

Problem is, I'm already trying to build a cheap mountain bike SS out of ANOTHER free bike (1990 Trek 800) and I can't really do both at the same time. I guess I'll hang onto this Peugeot for a while and maybe build it up later. It needs a LOT of work and I just don't have the time right now.

But, if there's somebody around Austin who could use this, let me know. I'll trade you for some usable MTB parts or something so I can complete at least ONE of these projects sometime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.