Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an old 93 trek 1200 that was my first road bike so it is sentimental. It has been built up from stock to ~18lbs with force, to lots of configurations between. It is now built as a road bike on trainer duty.

I do a couple TT races and one Duathlon each year, so a full TT bike isn't in the budget. I have a CX bike and my road is a nice, well upgraded Caad9 that is 15.x lbs on race day.

I have used clip on bars and adjusted my fit on the caad9 for the TT races, but I was thinking I could turn the old trek into a full year TT bike for pretty cheap.

Pros-
I have almost everything-frame, TT bars, derailleurs, wheels, and even a disc cover i could use on the rear.

I could adjust the fit and leave it that way and get used to it instead of modifying the cannondale.

It leaves the cannondale as a road bike, and won't scratch up my WCS bars with the stupid clip on aero bars!!

Cons-I know it wouldn't be as aero as a real TT bike, but I am not going to spend hundreds or thousands for a few rides a year.

It would be heavier than my current setup with the CAAD9 and clip on bars.

It seems like all I would need is a base bar(cheap), and some cheap 10 speed bar end shifters. Maybe a fast forward seat post too.

Is it worth it? Would I be slower on it because it is 2-3lbs heaver and a little less stiff than the caad(all real TT bikes would also be heavier and less stiff), or would the fact that I could train in the same dialed in position year round offset the extra weight and stiffness?

It just seems like a fun project and a way to justify keeping the old trek. Just curious on the thoughts from others.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Go for it. Shouldn't be a problem if everything fits/works.

Plus, when you beat the guys with 10K TT bikes.... Priceless!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless the course is hilly, 2-3 lbs (if that) & Less stiff will not make much difference. You might explore a deep dish front wheel & a TT helmet.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
weight is not a bike deal.. my full on TT bike is 8.7kg. It's all about position..if your old bike can't get you into optimal position or better then the caad9.. then I say it's not worth it... which is the way I'm leaning.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The biggest benefit of a TT bike is that it can get the rider into his optimum aero position. The aero benefits of the bike itself are secondary to that. If you can achieve that on the 1200, I see no reason not to do it. A very important factor is that you'll have it set up so will be able to practice and train on it more regularly than if you only occasionally switched over your CAD. Practice and training is what will make you faster on your TT bike. You can pay attention to other aero details too, like helmet, apparel, wheels, etc.. A nice set of aero wheels will work nicely on the CAD too.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I say go for it. Weight isn't that big a deal for flat and shorter courses. But note the a TT frame also confers some positioning/geometry benefits over a standard road frame.

I would build it up, try it out and maybe compare some intervals with your Cannondale. If you notice a big difference, then pick up an older used aluminum TT frameset and move all the parts to that. You should be able to get one for < $200.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, I think a lot of this echoes my thoughts as well. As far as fit goes, as someone said, probably the biggest advantage of doing this would be to lock in to a certain fit and be able to tweak and/or leave it in a good spot. I think each would be close to the same since the caad9 is the same size and they are both pretty traditional geometry. Neither are ideal, but I could have the seat moved forward on the trek, a 90mm stem, and the actual bars and shifters, and then I might try a few of my normal all out segments and see what happens! Thanks for the advice, everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts