Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SRAM X-9 rear der, matched with a toggle shifter from the same family.

The toggle shifter was only meant to be mounted onto thinner straight bars, not the slightly thicker road bar I'm trying to mount it onto. I either get another clamp, or skip the whole indexed shifting fad and go back to manually adjusted shifters.

This is for my daughter's Felt F24, featured on another thread, which some of you may still remember. The handlebar geometry was wrong with that straight bar, so I'm converting it to a road bar with traditional brake levers, and I was planning to re use all the components, except I got so close and was stopped by this one clamp.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Perhaps it's just me, but I can't figure out what you're after. Is it a down tube shifter as per your title, or is it a handlebar-mounted shifter as your text seems to indicate?

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm after the down tube shifter, with a big tube clamp that can straddle the very thick down tube on that bike.

My second choice would be a bigger clamp for the trigger shifter.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trigger shifter also wasn't perfectly working with the rear der, so there is some chain rubbing on some gears. So I thought ... why bother with indexed shifting?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
As far as I remember, clamp-on downtube shifters only came with clamps to fit relatively skinny (1-1/4" or so diameter) steel tubing. I don't think those would work with an F24 Felt. One alternative would be bar-end shifters. Almost all bar-end rear shifters can be switched to friction, and all bar-end front shifters are friction only.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for that suggestion. That is the perfect solution for a beginning rider: less clutter, full manual actuation, and no electronics.

500 TT Shifter | SRAM

View attachment 282282

The website lists them as being compatible with 1:1 actuation ratio derailleurs. But neither the instruction manual nor the website say the indexing can be defeated. I think the indexing should be correct in this case anyway. If it is not correct, this is the only type of shifter that allows for small adjustments while riding.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
For the money they want for those, you better be sure they'll work for you. I don't have the patience to wade through those crappy instructions (typical for SRAM), but I don't think those shifters can be changed to friction.

Some cheaper, more creative and well-described alternatives at this link:
Shifters

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Wow ... that rivbike.com place is truly old school.[/url]
Apparently this is your first encounter with Mr. Grant Petersen. He's a unique character.

Here's another outfit with a retro equipment view. They have some excellent stuff.
VeloORANGE

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Here's another outfit with a retro equipment view. They have some excellent stuff.
VeloORANGE
Good suggestion! They understand old-school, but are not so tied to it that they won't improve it. Check out the VeloOrange Grand Cru handlebar I put an a $100 thrift store find (1987 Jamis) last winter: They look properly old-school at first glance. But they have a modern straight transition from the tops to the hoods, and those transitions are perfectly horizontal with the drops angled just right with respect to the ground. Good design, bless VOs little orange hearts.

In case someone is interested in those, word of caution: very long reach (115 mm), and 26.0 stem clamp diameter only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.