Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well obviously we need a filter for repost don't we

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where I found the photo but I thought it was cool because of the action but also for the dynamics of the photo shoot. The photographer had to be laying on the ground. It is just a great shot.

I did a google image search this is what came back.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
the nice thing about vintage lightweights is you don't have to go too far back to be "old school."

still, my '60 paramount is substantially older than my '84 davidson, but they feel so similar ... and perfect.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I've never seen it either.

I gotta think the photo was either take when a crash was in process or the lean angle is an optical illusion. Cool photo regardless.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it was a crash it looks like the photographer would have been taken. I'd like to think the racer is just bad assing the corner.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
if it was a crash it looks like the photographer would have been taken. I'd like to think the racer is just bad assing the corner.
I don't think physics are impressed with bad assing. If someone is going fast enough to lean that far over and not fall, there it's highly unlikely they would be getting enough grip on gravel to not slide out.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Was that photo shopped, he isn't even kicking up any dust.
You can't even run on gravel at speed without dust and losing contact with the ground.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Is that track banked?

The guy doesn't even have his outside foot down. An impossible angle.
If you look closer (it's easier to see in the larger images at the link) he does have his outside foot down. And the portion of the track where he's located is decidedly banked, and the bank gets higher outside that. So the physics seems possible. According to the story the pic was taken about 1930.

And I've never seen it before.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Picture may be tilted little to the right. Look at the evergreen trees in the background vs dead trees. The shed in the background may be crooked but compensated by the picture cropping angle. If these two are the cases, it will certainly make the rider appear to be in lower angle than reality.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If you look closer (it's easier to see in the larger images at the link) he does have his outside foot down. And the portion of the track where he's located is decidedly banked, and the bank gets higher outside that. So the physics seems possible. According to the story the pic was taken about 1930.

And I've never seen it before.
Look at his outside knee. It's totally bent. Crank arms look closer to 3 and 9 then 6 and 12.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts