Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 25 year old Bianchi with a 6 speed Shimano freewheel and I was wondering if there would be any problems involved if I convert the freewheel to 7 speed. I also plan to change out the rear dérailleur as well as the shifters. Common sense tells me I should be OK but my experience with 6 speeds is lacking.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It should work just fine. I did the same thing with one of my bikes when I got a good deal on a set of DA 7 Speed tubular wheels. I only swaped out the chain and shifters since I already had a DA SIS derailler. IIRC, there was no major differneces between the 6 Speed and 7 Speed SIS deraillers.

Shawn

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Six and 99.9% of seven speed freewheels use the same 126mm hub spacing. You will need a seven speed chain because the spacing between the seven speed cogs is narrower.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Index?

chas0039 said:
I have an 25 year old Bianchi with a 6 speed Shimano freewheel and I was wondering if there would be any problems involved if I convert the freewheel to 7 speed. I also plan to change out the rear dérailleur as well as the shifters. Common sense tells me I should be OK but my experience with 6 speeds is lacking.
Do you have index or friction shifters? In either case, you probably don't need to replace the rear derailleur unless it is worn out. If friction shifting, you don't need to replace the shifters either.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Do you have index or friction shifters? In either case, you probably don't need to replace the rear derailleur unless it is worn out. If friction shifting, you don't need to replace the shifters either.

were indexed shifters around for 6-spd? can't remember that far back... don't think so

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Yes.
Shimano SIS started with six speed downtube shifters and a six speed uniglide freehub and cassette. (They also sold a six speed freewheel for existing wheels)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The seven speed freehwheel is wider than a six speed, so you likly will have to have to add extra spacers to the axle on the freewheel side. Otherwise, the smallest cog will drag on the dropout. There also is a good possibility you will have to get a longer axle & redish the wheel, depending on the current axle. If you stay with friction, shift levers make little difference. For indexed shifting, the 7 speed shimano (except DA) work with 6-8 speed shimano derailleurs.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I planned to replace the original index shifters as well as the dérailleur due to wear in any case. The new freewheel is longer so I had to stretch the frame just a little and added a single washer. The rest of the new parts are due in today so things look good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you had to add only 1 washer, about lilkely about 1mm thick, redishing may not be needed. For every washer you add to the freewheel side, it will move the wheel approx that same distance toward the non freewheel side dropout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.