Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oppourtunity to pick up a Shimano 600 STI Group (shifters, F&R derailleurs, brake caliper, crankset) for a very good price ($150) is this worth it, as I would use it to likely upgrade my 8 month old Sora group? How does the Old Shimano ultergra level compare to today's entry level stuff?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
That's a great price for a 600 group...Do you know how many miles are on it? It's hard to give you an answer without knowing what kind of shape it's in.

I really don't consider it an upgrade since your Sora group is so new....Unless the 600 group has extremely low miles, you won't notice much difference

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller claims about 2000km, which is about what my Sora group has on it. I haven't had a chance to test the group (because it is currently not installed on a bike) but the Calipers and pads look in very good condition and there is very little wear on the crankset (teeth are in great shape, cranks have a little wear but not much) so I figure at worst, I'm paying $150 for a good crankset and brake caliper upgrade.

I am curious more generaly about how the early incarnations of STI (like this 600 set) would compare to the newer entry level technology, both in like-new condition.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I haven't used the new Sora stuff, but it probably works much better than the older Ultegra. They have refined the STI parts over the years and now the stuff works almost flawlessly.
$150 is a good deal however, you could probably ebay the stuff for much more than that, but as far as performance goes, I'd stick with the newer Sora.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.