Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an early 1990's Greg Lemond steel frame, with S&S couplings on it. Have been thinking of putting a carbon fork on it and am curious to know what would be involved: Headset change? Obviously a stem change. Would I definitely look for a fork with a 1" steerer? Etc.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You can buy carbon forks with 1" threadded steel stearers, with 1" steel threadless stearers, with 1" aluminum threadless stearers, and with 1" carbon threadless stearers.
With the 1" threadded stearer, you can keep your old stem and headset. With the others, you need a new stem and headset. I really don't recomend the 1" carbon stearer. Just my opinion.

· Registered
30 Posts
unamericain said:
Looks like you've got one of those new Lemonds. Mine is actually a "Greg Lemond", which I think was made by Tommaso. Do you like the Wound Up? That's the one I was looking at.
new as long as you are thinking in decades rather than years. he has been making the carbon/steel spine models for some time now (how long i am not sure?).

this bike is just like the "dream bike" i bought back in ~ 1998. 'cept for the fork, of course.
i remember that ride being silky.

i have no complaints with the fork. this bike is silky and uber stable on my descents. get it if you find a nice price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.