Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading another thread about restoring an old rusted waterford frame and now I wanna do something similar. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a nice (or used-to-be-nice) frame with enough rust/scratches/whatever to make it pretty cheap if that makes since. I'd be willing to put plenty of work into it (the more work the better actually) but I want something 'special' you know? Any good sources for this type of thing other than ebay and craigslist? I saw this one but it was the only one with "project" or "restoration" in the title: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-63cm-Pe...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Are peugeots good for this type of thing? Never really heard of them. I'd like something like that but a little more trashed so I wouldn't feel bad stripping off all the paint and everything.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
I'd pass on that bike.. It's a low level bike....

The PX-10 is the only Peugeot worth restoring in my opinion..

I'd stay away from old French bikes for a first project. They often have either French or Swiss threading so parts are extremely hard to find.. Stems are bars are usually strange sizes too

Look for an old Japanese bike to restore...They don't command huge dollars on the collectors market but they used normal sized parts and threading

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I bought a new UO-8 a bazillion years ago for $82.50.

But yeah, the PX-10s are way nicer

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-White-S...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I was originally thinking of doing a geared bike but maybe fixed would be better for my first project. I like this cause I wouldn't feel bad about stripping off all the paint. I think I'm gonna keep looking until I can find one that's just a frame/fork though so I actually have to find and assemble all the parts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would only put the time into if you were starting with a good quality frame . You could look for an old steel Schwinn Paramount (these were made by Waterford). I rebuilt a Peugeot U08 into fixie/single speed. Probably spent too much, but the frame was in excellent condition. Starting with a French frame was a challenge and I spent too many hours studying Sheldon Brown's webpage.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a couple schwinn paramounts that look like they'd work for what I wanna do. One in particular that I liked except that it had the internal cable routing or whatever it's called. Looked like it'd be next to impossible to fix/work with. Why do they do that anyway?? And how the heck are you supposed to work on those?! Any other specific makes/models to look for?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Spend some time in the retro-classic section. You'll find a lot of information there. There's a lot of brands. Look for better quality steel tubes. How to spot a low-end right off? Large metal dork disks, stem mounted shifters, metal chain guards, heck just look at the first bike you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts