Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My other bike has knobbys
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I've got an old ('79) Raleigh Super Gran Prix that was converted SS. It's a net old bike, but I'm starting to get the itch to go gearie as there is only so much you can do on a SS on the road (I've done C, but that's a lot of riding for 78 gear inches).

I have a friend who has a line on a Trek 610 and I'm wondering if anyone has tried building one up for a lighter weight commuter / tourer / go for long, fast rides without dropping 2k on a new road frame bike? I'm looking at going to a 700c wheelset from what I would assume would be a 27" (27x1.25 or 27x1.125) stocker.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Should be a nice bike.

You might need to run longer reach brakes when you switch from 27" to 700c- there are quite a few decent options these days. the slightly smaller wheel size also allows you to run a larger tire- you should be able to run 28s with no problem at all.

A bike like that will really shine with downtube shifters- it's what it was meant for (plus, they're significantly cheaper).

My advice would be to spring for a nitto technomic stem- it's really long, so it gives you some serious adjustability- run it high during the week for commuting or for touring, drop it when you wanna go fast. Wide handlebars+a technomic stem=a somewhat flexy front end that translates into a nice comfy ride. Add some 28s any you'll be rolling like a Cadillac.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
buck-50 said:
My advice would be to spring for a nitto technomic stem- it's really long, so it gives you some serious adjustability- run it high during the week for commuting or for touring, drop it when you wanna go fast. Wide handlebars+a technomic stem=a somewhat flexy front end that translates into a nice comfy ride. Add some 28s any you'll be rolling like a Cadillac.

for a large frame that's fine... on a smaller one you can't drop the stem down very far before it bottoms out

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
FatTireFred said:
for a large frame that's fine... on a smaller one you can't drop the stem down very far before it bottoms out
It's easy to forget that when you usually ride 60cm+.

Good point.

·
My other bike has knobbys
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm in that sort of range...was looking at a 59cm Lemond the other day and the Raleigh is well into the 60's....maybe 62 or 63cm... as it is almost a hair too big for me). My understanding is that this 610 is a good size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.