Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Don't I wish!

Every once in a great while, Cambria Bike Outfitters unearths bits and pieces, as did Nashbar and Performance, but it almost never happens anymore. Third Hand might have stuff, and Rivendell, too, but it can be pretty steep. If all else fails, there's eBay....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Any LBS can get them.

vibiker said:
Are there any companies out there that have a stash of 8-speed Ultegra or DA drivetrain components?

Thanks
Quality Bike Supply had lots of 8 speed parts in stock. Any bike shop can get them. Actually lots of new bikes come with 8 speed drivetrains, sure they are Sora not DuraAce or Ultegra but lots of parts are still manufactured every year.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Depends...

vibiker said:
Are there any companies out there that have a stash of 8-speed Ultegra or DA drivetrain components?

Thanks
What do you need? Cassettes are easy, any LBS can get 8 speed Shimano cassettes from QBP. Derailleurs, don't sweat it, you could use a 1986 600 SIS rear derailleur with a 9 speed DA cassette and shifters, and it would index just fine. To use a 9 speed RD with an 8 speed chain, you might have to swap out the pulleys, but that's it. For fronts, you remove the screw that holds the back of the cage together, and add a thin washer. This spaces out the tail of the derailleur to accomodate the wider chain. The sticky wicket is the shifters. 8-speed, two-lever STI levers are hard to come by. New, there's only the Soras. Everything else is pretty easy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sti

vibiker said:

Thanks
I still use 8spd Shimano, and except for STI levers, haven't had any trouble with getting parts via LBS/QBP. I *did* replace a D-A right lever with a Sora (too cheap to fully upgrade to 9spd).

Re. STI levers, I read a story last year to the effect that Shimano plans a new, better-than-Sora 8spd lever:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/aug20

"Eight-speed STI levers: If you have an older Ultegra or 105 eight-speed rig you've been a bit stuck recently if you needed to replace your STI units but didn't want to jump to nine-speed. The ST-R500 levers plug this gap in Shimano's range, with a decent-quality eight-speed brifter."

I haven't checked to see if the planned unit ever made it to shops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.