Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I have been seeing bikes on sale from the mid 90's :confused: that have shimano 600 or ultegra components. Are these components really bad compared to the new shimano 600 or ultegra components? Would it be a waste of money to get an older bike like that because the technology is old?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
As long as its in good shape, its a good buy.
Until 3 months ago I was still racing on 600. Figured now that i'm a Cat 3 perhaps I could get some newer equipment. The 600 served me fine. More then fine, I did very well on it. If it is maintained it will performa very well. There are advantages to using it as well. You can find a bunch of old 8 speed cassettes and replacement parts on e-bay for cheep. Dura Ace 8 speed cassets around 40$ new vs. 150$ for 10s campy chorus...

Its all about the motor

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
513xj said:
Howdy, I have been seeing bikes on sale from the mid 90's :confused: that have shimano 600 or ultegra components. Are these components really bad compared to the new shimano 600 or ultegra components? Would it be a waste of money to get an older bike like that because the technology is old?
There are lots of folks who would say the older technology is a selling point.

The quality of pre-2000 Shimano components is just fine--possibly better than fine. I don't know if the ones you're looking at have the "brifters" that integrate shifting into the brake levers. If they don't have that, that's going to be your single biggest difference--downtube shifters take some getting used to, but it's like a stickshift in your car. Learn to use them and you won't be stranded if that's all you can get.

You'll probably also only be seeing 8-speed clusters, but I don't think you gain much from 9 and 10 speeds (I ride a 10, but could go back to 8 without being upset).

For quality, though, they'd be great for a beginner (and then some) if they're not beat up.

If you find a deal, and the shifting type is to your liking, then you should be OK.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Old = cheap?

513xj said:
Just curious as to why you are looking at 10 year old bikes. At any rate, assuming it's in good condition and the price is quite low (probaby less than $400), there's nothing wrong with the equipment.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been racing my older bike since my new one is in the shop. I've done 5 races with my 1980's Bianchi with Suntour Cyclone. It hasnt failed me yet, but there is a great differnce in performance if I compare my new bike to the Bianchi. If your just starting, just about any bike will work, you will eventually lust a new one if you get hooked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.