Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am in the process of building a roadbike. At 6'8" and 200lb, nothing seems easy. My local shop has been very helpful and found out that Cannondale still produces a CAAD5 at 66cm. However this frame does not come with any components. SO the shop has offered to swap the parts from another bike.

I originally planned to have new shimano 105 installed, but an offer has come my way from the owner of the shop. He is looking to sell his "low mileage" Campy Record groupo at a good price. The groupo is about six years old.
A price is still to be negotiated
SO
What would you choose? If Campy, what would be a good price?
:mad2:
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
134 Posts
What would I rather have on my bike - the 2003 Record groupo I have now or a new Shimano 105? My answer would be Campy without hesitation.

How much should you pay? Depends on if it needs a new chain, cassette etc. but probably $700-$800.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a. '02 Campy Record/Chorus group on my old bike-(Record Ergo levers, rear der). I would definitely go with the Record. The Ergo levers probably have been overhauled a few times (hopefully). I got a real deal on my groupo and wheel set- $1,000 (everything accept wheels and cages). I'm thinking maybe the Campy Record group is worth $500-$600. But a lot depends on what condition everything is in and how they were maintained. I have '07 Chorus UT on my new bike and it has been flawless. If he is selling Campy Record hubs with rims, snap them up...Campy stopped making the Chorus hubs. You now have to go with Record or drop down to Centaur or Veloce. The Record hubs will last forever if you have them overhauled annually..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Get the Campy. Shimano 105 is a nice gruppo, but it's not in the same ballpark as Campy Record. In fact, it's not even in the same state as the Record.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Mootsie said:
Did you even need to ask this question? 105 hands down.:rolleyes:
:eek:

Another vote for Campy here. You can thank us later by posting pics.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
new Campy 11-speed

Buy a brand-new Campy Chorus 11-speed :)

Around $1000 from UK retailers, 4-year warranty, and it's what Campy will support moving forward.

The weight differences between 2009 Record & Chorus groupsets are relatively small (< 100-150g), and you could always mix between the two.

Record cransksets are ~40g lighter and have somewhat nicer bearings ... Record brakes are ~40g lighter and are black, vs. Chorus silver.

Other components (Record vs Chorus) are very comparable.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
don't buy old...

While I'm a Campy-only guy, I would not buy parts that old. Campy just made a major change to 11 speed and completely redesigned their brake/shift levers. I'd buy new 11 speed or Centaur 10 if that's all the budget will allow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.