Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Crit frame (as well as a new R5000, its sweet but has nothing to do with this post, just bragging I guess)

The rear spacing is 126. I have since donated many of the original parts to a friend's bike. I have enough parts to build a bike up, but the catch is the rear spacing. I have an ultegra/105/velocity 9 speed set of parts.

Most everything I have read warns against trying to cold set aluminum. However, I have tested the fit and it isn't even moderately difficult to fit this wheel between the drops.

In another life I was an aero engineer that specialized in structures. I am familiar with the concepts of metal fatigue, cantilevered loading and sheer stress. However, I was also one of those engineers that enjoyed shooting from the hip more than hours of FEA (probably explains why I don't do that anymore). A large part of me keeps saying 'Come on man, it's only 2mm on each side'. Then again the thought of having a seat/chainstay break at 20mph isn't very attractive.

Here's my question (sorry about the long winded intro): Has anyone either ridden an old cannondale frame with a 130mm wheelset (without cold setting, just sticking it in there) or knows someone who has. If so, how has it worked?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have...

I used to have an old touring frameset (back when the headbadge was the train station) that had 126 spacing. I rode for several years with a 130mm 8-speed hub in there with absolutely no ill-effects. I'd go so far as saying that it was probably spaced closer to 128mm, because the wheel went in with next to no effort. Actually, come to think of it, I did the same with a 2.8 frame for a long time as well. No problems with that either.

People will warn against it, and YMMV with this, but I had zero problems. Those older frames were pretty robust. Would I try to spread a CAAD7/8? No.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.