Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings!

I recently suffered a bike theft and lost my 1985 Trek 400. On the bright side, it was in sore need of maintenance, so I spent those funds and a bit more to buy new bike. I found this Paletti on Craigslist. From what little information I've gathered online, Paletti bikes were handmade in Italy and they are of good quality. I don't know what year it is, and I'm not sure what model it is. Can you guys help me out with the year/model? Suntour Superbe front/rear derrailleurs, Weinmann 605 Brakes/levers, Mavic Module E2 wheels (France), I'm guessing these aren't original components? I think this bike is from the Mid 80's? It is missing the plate that covers the very bottom of the bottom bracket, so I can see inside of it (no pics of this)... not sure where to get a replacement or if I should just MacGuyver something together. Let's see if I can get these images/urls to work....I apologize for the rotations

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the URL, I couldn't find the website before. I looked at the pictures from the older years, and I can't seem to find another one like this. The ones on the website are a lot nicer it seems. :p

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The Columbus Zeta tubing is not one of their high end offerings. It's probably equal to your Trek 400.

The Suntour Superbe derailleurs were top of the line and actually shifted better than Shimano Dura Ace AND Campagnolo Nuovo/Super Record of the same era, and the Shimano/Campy offerings were considered top tier.

The Modolo shifters you have, it those are the plastic ones, had a tendency to break, and was something I experienced first hand.

The components tell me the bike was from the mid-80's. I had a Suntour Superbe rear derailleur and loved it. The bike was likely bought as a frame and the parts added ala carte.

I don't know what you're talking about with regard to the bottom bracket plate, but if your frame has a cutout or hole in the bottom bracket that allows you to see the crank axle inside, the you need a plastic accordion sleeve which slips inside and protects the bearings.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
^ +1 to all that.

and ... beautiful bike!

i'd like to see the bottom bracket shell cutout.

your suntour superbe stuff should have 2 digit date codes. the vintage trek website has a cross reference for suntour, etc.

you can also look up components using a velobase search.

i had some shifters like those on an '84 fiori. your rear derailleur was introduced in '84, i think.

with sheldon brown and a few tools, you'll find it's very easy to work on it yourself and tune it to perfection.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I think Zeta is straight gauge, seamed, and is 0.9mm wall thickness. A frame is about 500gm heavier than similar using SL tubing. Of note, I believe it's made for a seat post with a diameter of 26.6mm; the ID of Zeta was 26.8mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts