Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I apologize a head of time if this is an obvious question, but I'm relatively new to the road biking scene. Anyways, I am currently looking into getting a road bike. I have heard and read a lot of wonderful things about the Ultegra components. However, many of the 2010 models that I've looked at have the 105s. Do any of you guys feel that the newer 105 components (2010, 2011) function/operate similarly to the older Ultegra components (2004 and 2005)? Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
New 105 is a great set of components, just read the reviews. In my opinion, much better than old Ultegra, especially if the Ultegra are used components. I have a friend who races on 105 and does extremely well. Biggest difference in 105 and Ultegra are a few grams and cosmetic finish.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Cni2i said:
Hi everyone. I apologize a head of time if this is an obvious question, but I'm relatively new to the road biking scene. Anyways, I am currently looking into getting a road bike. I have heard and read a lot of wonderful things about the Ultegra components. However, many of the 2010 models that I've looked at have the 105s. Do any of you guys feel that the newer 105 components (2010, 2011) function/operate similarly to the older Ultegra components (2004 and 2005)? Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'll go a step further than that and say that IMO through a series of refinements/ upgrades the 2010 (and most likely, 2011) iterations of 105 are better than the 2004/5 Ultegra group.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
onlineflyer said:
New 105 is a great set of components, just read the reviews. In my opinion, much better than old Ultegra, especially if the Ultegra are used components. I have a friend who races on 105 and does extremely well. Biggest difference in 105 and Ultegra are a few grams and cosmetic finish.
Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to know. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PJ352 said:
I'll go a step further than that and say that IMO through a series of refinements/ upgrades the 2010 (and most likely, 2011) iterations of 105 are better than the 2004/5 Ultegra group.
JP: Great to know. I guess (especially as a newbie) I got caught up in all the praises surrounding the Ultegra components. Now, I am sure that most would agree that the Ultegra are very good components, but it's definitely nice to know that the 105s are really good as well.

· Registered
3,603 Posts
yeah they say the new 105 is based directly on the ace footprint, only difference slightly "heavier" material

plus u see the new 105 on like, four, five thousand dollar carbon set ups,that's gotta tell you something... never had a problem with mine, that's for sure

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
easyridernyc said:
yeah they say the new 105 is based directly on the ace footprint, only difference slightly "heavier" material

plus u see the new 105 on like, four, five thousand dollar carbon set ups,that's gotta tell you something... never had a problem with mine, that's for sure
Good point. I've noticed that as well on my recent visit to the LBS.

· Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
But take a look at the catalogues. I have seen detailed ones which show the differences between the groups.

The diffrences between same vintage Ultegra and 105 are there - nitrided bearing pins here, double seals there. Generally it's a close thing between these two, with Dura-Ace clearly apart from them.

It would be insightful if the LBS has back issues of these catalogues so one can compare and see how 105 and Ultegra have improved and evolved in terms of such details.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
As an aside only.

And for what it's worth: As far as I know, the difference in chainrings between 105 and Ultegra is still the same: 105 rings are stamped, Ultegra rings are forged. I realize that this makes no difference at all to performance and puts me into the snob camp, but I just don't like the idea of riding around with stamped chain rings. :)

· Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
wim said:
And for what it's worth: As far as I know, the difference in chainrings between 105 and Ultegra is still the same: 105 rings are stamped, Ultegra rings are forged. I realize that this makes no difference at all to performance and puts me into the snob camp, but I just don't like the idea of riding around with stamped chain rings. :)

Aw no! My predominantly Ultegra 6600-equipped bike came with Truvativ rouleur (carbon) cranks. I hesitate to ask whether those rings are stamped or forged...:blush2:

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Pieter said:
Aw no! My predominantly Ultegra 6600-equipped bike came with Truvativ rouleur (carbon) cranks. I hesitate to ask whether those rings are stamped or forged...:blush2:
LOL, don't ask. Stamped rings drop your average about 2 mph over forged ones just by knowing you're turning stamped rings.

Here's my reason for preferring forged over stamped: stamped means punched out of a sheet of alloy. Forged means made from a piece of alloy that is heated until soft then pounded into shape with a hammer. I love the italicized part of that last sentence. It sounds so, well, powerful... :)

· Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
wim said:
Here's my reason for preferring forged over stamped: stamped means punched out of a sheet of alloy. Forged means made from a piece of alloy that is heated until soft then pounded into shape with a hammer. I love the italicized part of that last sentence. It sounds so, well, powerful... :)
Stamped means work hardened to some extent but sa tamped ring has its metal rudely and unhappily savaged.

So I bet the initial wear rate of forged rings is lower. Crystalline flow of the metal and what not is uninterrupted. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.