Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I never thought I'd ever own a titanium frame but I've got one on the way. Sometimes drinking and ebay do mix nicely. I scored a 91-92ish Litespeed Tachyon for a good deal. I plan to strip my 87 Ciocc and use the mix of late 80's/early 90's Chorus, Croce, C-Record on it. My ? is this. I'm pretty sure it has 130mm rear dropouts (can someone confirm this?) and I have no desire to buy a new rear wheel. Will it be a problem squezing the frame in with my rear quick release (I know it will be easily physically possible, but can this harm the frame or lead to other issues? Thanks for your advice.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Well I never thought I'd ever own a titanium frame but I've got one on the way. Sometimes drinking and ebay do mix nicely. I scored a 91-92ish Litespeed Tachyon for a good deal. I plan to strip my 87 Ciocc and use the mix of late 80's/early 90's Chorus, Croce, C-Record on it. My ? is this. I'm pretty sure it has 130mm rear dropouts (can someone confirm this?) and I have no desire to buy a new rear wheel. Will it be a problem squezing the frame in with my rear quick release (I know it will be easily physically possible, but can this harm the frame or lead to other issues? Thanks for your advice.
It will ot harm the frame. - TF

EDIT: It will NOT harm the frame. - TF Picky, picky :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
It may not harm the frame, but as you move the dropouts closer together, they will no longer be paralell. this will tend to bend the rear axle when you tighten down the QR. I would replace the rear axle with one a little longer, and add a spacer.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Lamb4920 said:
I have changed the rear spacing before. But this should only be done on steel bikes. I believe Ti should not be cold set. Check out this link.
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
He's not trying to cold set (perminently bend) it, only to pull it in while the hub is mounted.

BTW, I have cold set a Ti frame from 130 to 135mm. Do a search. It's posted with pictures.

TF

·
Registered
10 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
He's not trying to cold set (perminently bend) it, only to pull it in while the hub is mounted.

BTW, I have cold set a Ti frame from 130 to 135mm. Do a search. It's posted with pictures.

TF
I can respect what you did. I did do a search and found opinions going both ways on the Ti. The only problem I see in just squeezing them together is that the dropouts will not be parrallel to the jam nuts. Other than that if it works out that's great. Let's see it when it's all done. It has amazed me how many people out there that are working on and refurbishing old bikes. I love my current project and look forward to the next.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Lamb4920 said:
I can respect what you did. I did do a search and found opinions going both ways on the Ti. The only problem I see in just squeezing them together is that the dropouts will not be parrallel to the jam nuts. Other than that if it works out that's great. Let's see it when it's all done. It has amazed me how many people out there that are working on and refurbishing old bikes. I love my current project and look forward to the next.
Thats 4mm - only 2 on each side. Even pure Ti bends that much with the QR. Some CX bikes are built at 132.5 to be able to use either 130 or 135mm hubs. - TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts