Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was outside for both days this weekend after finally getting some decent enough weather in New Hampshire. Needless to say this time of the year, I leave the race bike at home and swing out on the cross bike.
One of the discussions going through my head this Sunday was how hold some of the parts on this bike are. I've been upgrading it slowly to Riva in the past 2 months, so a lot of them are retiring.
However, my front hub is down right the oldest component that I still have that gets regular use. It is a Shimano 600 32 hole hub. If my memory serves me correctly, it is now entering it's 18th year of use. The rim and spokes have been rebuilt once since it's original life, but even those are close to 11 years old. I find that the real kicker is that I have honestly overhauled this hub only twice in 18 years. It still spins smooth, but I am almost afraid that if I take it apart, that the bearings will just fall out as dust by this point.
So, just curious, what component(s) (excluding frames) do you have that have seen years of use and abuse?
I've got a couple saddles and some pedals that are approaching 10 years, but nothing is even close to this front hub.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Campy d/t shifters, NR post, and a Brooks saddle, all of which came on a 1978 bike I bought used in 1984. I've still got the Campy Tipo hubs, Gran Sport cranks and Nuovo Record derailleurs from that bike as well, but they're in the parts bin.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Just retired a 198? Brooks saddle. Still rode nicely, just felt the urge to replace it.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
"Regularly" being the operative word...I've got a Selle San Marco Regal with the cast Aluminum rails on my Seven which is my primary training bike. I took it out of retirement from the parts trunk last fall. I think I bought that in 1988 or 89. Otherwise the part getting the most use would be the Campy Record Delta brakes on the same bike. They're the same era and they've been on a couple of different bikes over the years. They've been on the Seven since I bought it in 1999. I did put new Kool-stop pads on them last week. I'm not insane enough to use Campy pads made in the the late 80's.

G

·
Campag Nuovo Record Derailleurs.

Campag Nuovo Record high flange hubs

Fiamme Red Label Rims

Wolber Super Champion rims

Nuovo Record brake levers and calipers

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Well, yeah, mine are still seeing regular use after 58 years.

As for components, I built a pair of wheels for my fixie on an old set of Campy freewheel hubs that came from an Atala touring bike that a friend was going to toss out (it belonged to his father). Pretty sure they date from the mid-60's, so >40 years. They're nothing fancy (Campy used to make a lot of mid-level workaday components), but they shined up pretty nice. They had had quite a lot of use, and I'm sure they'd never been overhauled before I got them. They spin just like Campy bearings should, smooth as you'd ever want.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bar end shifters from a 70's era Schwinn that I robed from a bike that was trashed 20 years ago when I worked in a shop - those shifters still work and I keep using them...

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Most of my '86 Miyata 710 is still stock- hubs have been overhauled regularly, with a couple of cone replacements over the years, rims still OK, same with crank (chainrings replaced) and derailleurs. Changed the original brakes almost immediately after finding a set of DAs at REI for the even then steal price of ~ $50 for the pair, and they're still fine.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Three items.
1) A front wheel I built up in 1987, built with a Shimano large flange 36 hole hub, MA40 rim, and 15/16 DT Comps. Original spokes and rim.
2) A 1986 SR front derailleur, that I still use on my 8 speed Ergo Campy equiped Bianchi.
3) An early 80's wool jersey with the zipper cut out, that I still use a base layer on real cold days.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
hmmm hard to say how old it is but I have a Performance-brand front wheel, that's seen continuous service for as long as I can remember. 36 hole, 3 cross, generic Performance hub, box rim, and it's only needed truing once or twice, despite lots and lots of off-roading, cx etc.

then there's the track bike, it's not mine but on loan from a buddy. He built it in the 80's (whenever Alkek velodrome was built) and the parts were NOS then. No idea how old some of that is, but I raced on it all last year and will again this year.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I've got a wool winter cycling jacket I picked up in 1974 that I still wear.

I've got a late 80's ATB that I am still riding with almost entirely stock parts.

·
your god hates me
1,553 Posts
My 1985 Bridgestone 600 is still stock except for the RD, cogs, seatpost, saddle, bars, stem, & pedals...okay, maybe it's easier to list the components that are still stock! DiaCompe brake levers, Bridgestone "Self Cenetring" brake calipers, SunTour FD & downtube friction shifters, Araya rims plus whatever these hubs & spokes are. All 23+ years old, all appear to be going strong w/ no sign of imminent failure.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Geez, where are all the retro guys? Am I winning (except for Dinosaur's *ss) with my 40-year-old Campy hubs? (not sure about some of the bits toomanybikes listed) That's kind of pathetic ;-)

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
1963 Raleigh Sport bike. Yes, it's original and I use the whole thing

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
full shimano 600 groupo.....

on my 97 5200.... still works perfect.:2:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts