Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a smell-filled commute this morning. Started about 1.5 miles into my commute, on the MUT, when I got hit by the stink of a nearby skunk. A minute later that was replaced by the sweet smell of honeysuckle, then followed quickly by the stench of diesel exhaust as I passed a parking lot, only to be quickly followed up by breakfast cooking at a deli next to the MUT. A while later, when I was on surface streets, it was diesel exhaust again, from a school bus, only to be outdone by the fact that I ended up on a downhill section, traveling along side a garbage truck that was getting its full stink on.

I had one the fastest commutes I've ever had this morning. I can only attribute it to constantly trying to get away from the stomach-churning stenches of the suburbs.

////as I sit here listening to Clapton's "Dirty City". Perfect.

Do you guys get the lovely odiferous overload in the mornings too?

· passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I had one commute the other morning behind a large commercial garbage truck and I was keeping up with it. Actually had to just wait a light sequence to let it go by because I was beginning to retch. Not my fastest commute though. Having to wait a stench out at light sucks but was better than following that sucker.

Best smell was right by my house as I left in the morning was a dunkin's donuts. Made leaving my house hard but welcomed me home, sadly they closed and now a taco stand welcomes me home with the smell of wood fired carne asada and toasting tortillas. Sometimes it is all I can do to keep the pedals turn and the wheel pointed at my house instead of rolling through the drivethrough and getting something. Mmmm taco.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Every Thursday night, a goup of us ride downtown and the go out to eat afterwards. It's always tough to be hungry and ride through all the smells of the many resturants we pass. But tonight will be different. This weekend is the Memphis In May BBQ contest. 300 teams will be cooking tonight and the whole downtown will be filled with the smell of the worlds best BBQ teams. It's always one of my fav rides of the year.

· Workin' for the Man
240 Posts
Hops and Other Aroma

I pass a very large brewery on my commute. I can detect the smell of fermenting hops sometimes miles downwind.

The curious bouquet emitted by the water treatment plant tends to increase my average speed through that part of town!

At times, the scent of burning tires invades downtown. I've never figured out its source.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I pass near the Frito Lay factory on one leg of my local training loop. Sometimes I like the smell of doritos or lays but usually it's a bit much. Then it's past the candle factory with the artificial cinnamon or lavender that makes me sick. Then past the plastic molding plant for a little chemical love. After that I can get out to the country to get the lovely smell of manure, skunks and honeysuckle.

· Registered
19 Posts
I pass through a beautiful treed area which has a waste sewage treatment plan on one side. Ah the smell of treated human waste at 6am is wonderful :). Its especially good since it sits on a large hill so I huff and puff going up it on the way home. Nice to get big gulps of stanky crap air as I head home.Thankfully right after that I pass the Puget Sound on the way into work so I get some fresh air afterwards.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I'm working hard on the bike, any smell is unwanted. I remember one time thinking the smell of bacon cooking was going to make me sick. I live the smell of bacon, but not while riding hard.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
If I'm working hard on the bike, any smell is unwanted. I remember one time thinking the smell of bacon cooking was going to make me sick. I live the smell of bacon, but not while riding hard.
Agreed, on the end of a 95 degree century I was going up one of the last hills when I came upon the local church's fish fry. I thought I'd lose my cookies right there. They even asked me if I was hungry and wanted some fish. Bleccchhh!

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I live about 3 miles from a major steel plant. The mill is HUGE! Although, thankfully, we never smell it at home, it's a real treat to ride past it. Yummy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.