1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I rode on Sunday. This is a write-up by derek aka bustamove:
---------

It was a little cloudy and on the cool side, but it was an excellent day to be outside and riding. A small number of riders gathered this morning in anticipation of getting our game on. The players today were Twain, Steve, Francis, Auggie and Derek. Of course there was the usual sand bagging before we even started. Francis had a minor spill Saturday afternoon and had a sore bum before the ride even started. The poor guy had to literally sit on a bag of ice for a few hours in order to keep the swelling down. Steve has been bogged down with work and had not logged in any long or difficult rides for over a month. Twain was commenting how his new big was too "flexy" on the climbs. My excuse was that I just plain tired from the volunteer work the previous day - basically I had been mostly standing up for 4+ hours. Only Auggie had the right attitude and knew to just keep on pedaling if the group ever pulled away. Eventually he would get to his destination one way or another.

The first big climb was Old La Honda. The group started at an easy pace, but Twain decided to lay down the hammer after a mile into the climb. The rest of us just kept our pace and watched Twain pull away and disappear up the hill. We had lots of climbing ahead of us and it would not have been prudent for us to chase after the Twain-meister. I'll let Twain report his time finishing OLH. Steve was a couple of minutes behind Twain. The remaining finishing order was Derek, Auggie and Francis.

A quick descent down the west side of OLH (well, quick for everyone except Twain :) ) followed by a fast tempo out to towards the ocean on Highway 84. We were doing a good job of maintaining a paceline and keeping everyone together until Twain got out front for the last two miles to San Gregorio. Again Twain increases the tempo and everyone behind him is just trying to hang onto the wheel in front of them. I'm drafting directly behind Twain and my heart rate was between 180 and 190 BPM. Yikes!

We pull up to the store only missing Auggie. No worries. Auggie was less than two minutes behind us and he still has a smile on his face. After a short break it is onward for the 2nd half of the ride. Someone must have been feeling good today, because the suggestion to add Lobitos Creek Road to the route came up and was approved by a majority. OMG, here we go. One left turn from Tunitas, follow by a couple of right turns and we find ourselves climbing Lobitos Creek Road. Francis decides that it his now his turn to make a run for the KOM points. As the road pitches up, so does Francis' tempo. I just try to save my legs for Tunitas and let Francis open up a large gap. Steve, Twain and Auggie are slowly getting dropped.

I conserve some energy during the descent on Lobitos and there is a regrouping of Steve, Twain and I. Twain does the noble thing and waits for Auggie (which was a good thing to do because Auggie turned the wrong way onto Tunitas). And he also stops to water the bushes. Steve and I take advantage of Twain's stop and continue climbing Tunitas. Yes, I admit it wasn't the most fair move to make. Would you wait or would you try to open a gap?

Francis is still out of sight as Steve and I begin our climb up Tunitas. Closing the gap on Francis was easy because he had already used up most of his moves. I eventually open up a gap as the hill gets steeper - praying the entire time that I my quads don't seize up and cramp. I finally clear the steep section of Tunitas without any cramping, but I'm too tired to recover. Eventually Steve gets by me and then Twain. I think the finishing order for Tunitas was Twain (despite the 2 minutes he took to pee and wait for Auggie), Steve, me, Auggie and Francis. KOM was definitely Twain. He certainly had his game on today!

Basic stats for the ride are 55 miles, 5,150 feet of elevation gain, 3 hours 40 minutes of riding time, 4 hours 20 minutes overall, no mechanicals and no injuries. Now if could only get the sun to show for these rides :cool:

derek aka bustamove

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Francois,

I am the guy you passed, who was fixing the flat tire near the top of Tunitas. I saw you guys at the San Gregorio store and I saw you again in my reav view mirror near the beginning of Tunitas. I wondered why you didn't pass me sooner. Now I know why - you took Lobitos!

I sure enjoyed the day and it appears you guys did too.

Happy riding,

bornin53

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bornin53 said:
Hi Francois,

I am the guy you passed, who was fixing the flat tire near the top of Tunitas. I saw you guys at the San Gregorio store and I saw you again in my reav view mirror near the beginning of Tunitas. I wondered why you didn't pass me sooner. Now I know why - you took Lobitos!

I sure enjoyed the day and it appears you guys did too.

Happy riding,

bornin53
Hey that's cool. I remember you. I was delusional though as I had cramps in both legs.

Great day to be out there huh?

francois

·
Registered
271 Posts
That was a sweet ride!

Splits:
OLH - 22:30
Tunitas from the bridge - 28:14

IMO, the coolest part was that paceline going out 84 to the general store. 20 minutes of pure speed and smooth. Awesome how we finished at 27+ mph with Steve coming around for the final sprint.
Caveat: I was riding a brand new, finally dialed-in Scott Plasma triathlon frame with an aero front wheel and aero bars. That thing makes it so easy to maintain speed in the flats-it's like cheating :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts