Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
For OLH I have 1300 feet in 3.3 miles which is 7.5%.

For Page Mill I have a measurement of 4.9% from Arastradero to Skyline. I think you've chosen the start and end points to remove the rolling parts which do mess up the climb and the stats. I know exactly where you mean by Foothills Open Space Preserve, as that's on the big hairpin bend below the top of Moody Rd. I don't remember exactly where the christmas tree farm is though, otherwise I could work the numbers out from my Garmin data. You could also try plotting the route on bikely.com and looking at the elevation profile.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Page Mill from the Foothills Park entrance to the intersection with Montebello Rd is 1266 feet in 3.95 miles for 6.1%. This is from a GPS log.

Interestingly, bikely.com agrees with these numbers, more or less, though it indicates a spurious amount of descent. It does the same for OLH and I'm pretty sure that there is no section on OLH that goes down even a foot! If you calculate ascent - descent from bikely.com that matches closely the GPS number. I think that their algorithms to calculate elevation change along a route from spot heights or contour information contains a lot of noise and that noise aggregates into a lot of spurious elevation change.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Average grade is a poor way to compare OLH and Page Mill. Page Mill has long flat sections mixed in with some steep (and often hot) climbs. OLH has a mostly consistent grade. OLH may have a bigger average grade, but I think Page Mill is a harder climb.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Average grade is a poor way to compare OLH and Page Mill. Page Mill has long flat sections mixed in with some steep (and often hot) climbs. OLH has a mostly consistent grade. OLH may have a bigger average grade, but I think Page Mill is a harder climb.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
http://actc.org/profiles/index.php is the essential tool for comparing local climbs. OLH is just amazingly linear from bottom to top. I think perhaps that bikerbert is trying to find a portion of Page Mill that's comparable to OLH? Browsing through the profiles I want to go straight out and ride Alba, Felton Empire or the back-side of Mt Hamilton!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree Page Mill is rougher even with the "recovery" spots. I think all of the body blows from the short steeps pound your legs a little more than the gradual grind up OLH.

I'm doing a little bit of an experiment on myself to see if climbing the steeper punchier Page Mill will improve my OLH time. I'm throwing in vomit inducing 30 second "sprints" every 2 minutes to see if that improves threshold for OLH next Sunday which will mark four weeks of Page Mill runs..

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I didn't lose my lunch on Page Mill Road today, but then I didn't see a single Christmas tree either.

I've been similarly using Sierra Rd and Montebello Rd to toughen me up for OLH, and it did work out nicely. Setting a 20 minute pace on OLH feels quite different though. It seems insanely fast out of the gate, and then you have to keep it up all the way. If I get behind pace I never get it back again, so I go fast at the beginning, start to lag somewhat towards the upper middle, and then go all-out again at the end. Fortunately the hill is short enough that you can do the whole thing close to VO2 max, and then collapse in a pile at the top.

·
the other Derek
421 Posts
bikerbert said:
Thanks for the info. I agree Page Mill is rougher even with the "recovery" spots. I think all of the body blows from the short steeps pound your legs a little more than the gradual grind up OLH.

I'm doing a little bit of an experiment on myself to see if climbing the steeper punchier Page Mill will improve my OLH time. I'm throwing in vomit inducing 30 second "sprints" every 2 minutes to see if that improves threshold for OLH next Sunday which will mark four weeks of Page Mill runs..
A couple of suggestions that might work for you -- hill repeats on Montebello (just from the bottom to the school or maybe lower) and lots of base miles. We already know you have a strong core after leading all those core strengthening classes.

Finding the winning combination to beat your PR on OLH -
I believe a lot of time is lost after the last steep section (just past the narrow passage between the two redwood trees) if you cannot recover and get your speed back up when the grade gets easier. So work as hard as you can to the last steep pitch, but leave enough in the tank for the last mile to the top.

Having someone to chase up OLH is also a good way of breaking your PR. You are less likely to slow down if you have wheel to follow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My best time up OLH was right after I had 2 weeks where I had only ridden once each week and I had gotten some really good sleep the night before. I was so excited to be riding my bike that I felt like nothing could stop me. The thing that really sucks is my best time was the second ride up OLH. Now I'm chasing that time and have yet to beat it.

Before you ask "What's your time?" It's so embarrassingly long that I'm not willing to share it with you guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OLH Time

Been riding for a couple of years now..though I don't particularly like climbing, I try to do big climbs once in a while...my ave for OLH is about 22-23 mins...Is this considered a good time, say if I try to hang with some club rides that do it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sub 25 gets you the ability to hang with Cat slower3's but definite 4/5's. It won't get you to the top first, but it won't get you spit out the back of most of the rides that go up that hill.

Using Page Mill helped. The last time up OLH four weeks ago was 30 seconds slower than OLH today. The experiment worked!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.