Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Joe Friel speaks of consuming olive oil while training in place of a high carb diet. He says studies have shown a significant advantage to consuming it. But how about while racing... to use as fuel?
If the race is long enough then it may be a good idea to include some fat in your calories to smooth out the burn and make the food taste better. A long term euro-pro favorite is a little sandwich with ham and cream cheese. But for typical American races that rarely go over 2 hours, your gut would hardly start digesting the fat before the race ended. For that kind of race you want carbs with a high glycemic index, which is why all the gells, blocks, beans, and drinks typically contain maltodextrin, glucose, etc.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Consuming it how? Just to drink it would probably cause diarrhea. But Olive oil has been known for it's benefits for thousands of years. But there is a limit, about 2 tablespoons a day, more then that and you increase the probability of diarrhea...something you don't want while trying to ride a bike. It's generally better to put the olive oil on something like pasta or eggs, or pizza.

I'm going to try something weird this summer that I heard about, on a long ride take my GU flask with the usual espresso, but mix a little honey in it, I know it will taste funny but supposedly the honey will boost your energy. Experimenting is sometimes fun.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
.... I'm going to try something weird this summer that I heard about, on a long ride take my GU flask with the usual espresso, but mix a little honey in it, I know it will taste funny but supposedly the honey will boost your energy.
Sounds like Lance's Honey Stinger's (only liquid)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Honey is good stuff. IMHO only.... not all that hugely better/different from other sweeteners like cane or beet sugar or even corn sugar. Sugar is sugar... just my opinion.

I like coffee... and the drug caffeine.

I try not to put too much crap in my body. I think there is a time for nearly everything. I don't think greasy fries and hamburgers are all that bad for you.... IF YOU'RE 16. But the same diet a 16 year old can thrive on... will make a 30-something chubby and lazy.

And if you're 50 and eating like a high school kid [you should] at least keep your life insurance current.

Everyone knows you don't feed a newborn baby table food. Nor do you feed a toddler adult foods and drinks. We know children go through dietary stages... but we don't think about the digestive stages we progress through our entire life's.

Years ago (decades?) I was having digestive problems and happily found out that something like 80% of all over-the-counter digestive medications were consumed by people between the ages of 40 and 50. I was happy... because it meant there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. And... thankfully there was.

I think some of the energy and supplement products on the market are not fit... for any age group. But might not be so harmful to a healthy and fit person in their 20's. But I wouldn't swallow them.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
If you're doing cycling or running then the fat found in hamburgers at a fast food place is getting destroyed by good hdl. I live my life to enjoy it, and if I'am at a fast food place and want a burger then I'm one not to freak out about it and I'll eat and enjoy it. My bad cholesterol is low and my good is high, so as long as that remains that way then I don't care what I eat.

Margarine causes cancer, no one mentions that, they just mention that butter causes cholesterol but they don't mention that butter doesn't cause cancer. My family eats butter.

Living in California you meet radical health nuts and I knew several, 2 of them were very strict vegetarians, those two people all died of cancer at a fairly young age. The others took very expensive herbs and vitamins they too died of cancer. Not one of those friends lived past 50. I don't take any vits or herbs, don't get flu shots, eat meat, butter, etc and have no health issues. And if the day comes that I do have some sort of health issue, so what? Who's to say I wouldn't have those issues if I ate no meat and no butter anyways? Who's to say if my friends who died of cancer had not followed their strict healthy eating they would have died anyways at the same age? I believe exercise is good for you but I don't go overboard, I eat healthy in my opinion but I don't go overboard one way or the other. I knew of a person that lived to be 102 years old and chained smoked cigs from the time he was 14 years old. I believe more importantly that genetic makeup has more to do with living and dying then people realize, that's not saying you can cut your life short by getting really fat and being lazy, and smoking etc, but if you follow normal living routines I don't think you're going to alter how long you live all that much vs someone with the same genes (not possible) who is a radical health nut.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Honey is good stuff. IMHO only.... not all that hugely better/different from other sweeteners like cane or beet sugar or even corn sugar. Sugar is sugar... just my opinion.
You are entirely right. It's also not just your opinion but facts.

I've got a number of good friends who use nothing but honey. They believe and swear it's better and less harmful than sugar but can't cite facts. One person even carries a container for tea when we go to coffee shops.

·
Registered
641 Posts
From a calorie standpoint, sugars are all basically the same. The big difference is how much work your body has to do to burn it. Honey, as well as agave nectar which I prefer due to being less thick, is low on the glycemic index. The sugars take some work to be burned, which causes a slower burn. This leads to less blood sugar spikes. More traditional sugars are higher on the glycemic index and provide energy faster. That gives you a more instant pick-me-up. But you burn and fade quicker. That is why most gels use a combination of sugars for both short and longer carb supply. I make my own with agave nectar (low on index) and brown rice syrup (higher on index) plus some instant coffee. It is far cheaper than the store gels, and not as processed which is a bonus to me. It doesn't supply the electrolytes or vitamins of many gels, but I get that from my Nuun tabs.

·
Banned
443 Posts
If you're doing cycling or running then the fat found in hamburgers at a fast food place is getting destroyed by good hdl. I live my life to enjoy it, and if I'am at a fast food place and want a burger then I'm one not to freak out about it and I'll eat and enjoy it. My bad cholesterol is low and my good is high, so as long as that remains that way then I don't care what I eat.

Margarine causes cancer, no one mentions that, they just mention that butter causes cholesterol but they don't mention that butter doesn't cause cancer. My family eats butter.

Living in California you meet radical health nuts and I knew several, 2 of them were very strict vegetarians, those two people all died of cancer at a fairly young age. The others took very expensive herbs and vitamins they too died of cancer. Not one of those friends lived past 50. I don't take any vits or herbs, don't get flu shots, eat meat, butter, etc and have no health issues. And if the day comes that I do have some sort of health issue, so what? Who's to say I wouldn't have those issues if I ate no meat and no butter anyways? Who's to say if my friends who died of cancer had not followed their strict healthy eating they would have died anyways at the same age? I believe exercise is good for you but I don't go overboard, I eat healthy in my opinion but I don't go overboard one way or the other. I knew of a person that lived to be 102 years old and chained smoked cigs from the time he was 14 years old. I believe more importantly that genetic makeup has more to do with living and dying then people realize, that's not saying you can cut your life short by getting really fat and being lazy, and smoking etc, but if you follow normal living routines I don't think you're going to alter how long you live all that much vs someone with the same genes (not possible) who is a radical health nut.
I'm with you on this all the way.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No magic in agave. It's basically all fructose. Not making a value judgement, just sayin'.
Exactly my point. Fructose is very low on the glycemic index. Agave nectar has an index of 10-20 depending on many factors. Maltodextrin is about 150. Raw sugar about 65. Processing these can have a big impact. From a calorie standpoint they are all basically the same. But you will burn off higher index carbs faster leading to a likelihood of consuming more. A calorie is a calorie, but not all calories lead your body to the same result.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a buddy in college that would chug a bottle of Wesson Oil for beer money. Might be the nastiest-funniest thing I have ever seen. He seemed ok for the night, but never good looked good the next day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fats (olive oil) would be better consumed before the ride. They take longer to convert to energy than sugars and help you feel full longer. If your ride is less than 2 hours you should only need water.

Before a long ride I like to eat oatmeal with full fat coconut milk. The soluble fibre in the oatmeal creates a sort of gel in your stomach and the energy from the food is released more slowly over a longer period of time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Exactly my point. Fructose is very low on the glycemic index. Agave nectar has an index of 10-20 depending on many factors. Maltodextrin is about 150. Raw sugar about 65. Processing these can have a big impact. From a calorie standpoint they are all basically the same. But you will burn off higher index carbs faster leading to a likelihood of consuming more. A calorie is a calorie, but not all calories lead your body to the same result.
Not true at all in regards to carbohydrate metabolism during intense exercise.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not true at all in regards to carbohydrate metabolism during intense exercise.
I'm recalling an old thread on milk/lactose intolerance and how that intolerance is gene based.

So, folks from cultures that had cows' milk can drink milk, but folks from cultures that historically did not have cows' milk are prone to lactose intolerance.
ergo, maybe the kind of sugar that works best for an individual may be linked somewhat to a gene thingy - lactose, fructose, sucrose, glucose, etc ? ?
or is it like home brewing beer, you have to use the correct sugar type. else the yeasty alchol critters aren't happy ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.