Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm couching this complaint with the ackowledgment that OLN is the only place I'm going to see cycling on my television.

During the Giro, why does OLN show the stage that happens to fall on "Cyclism Sunday"? Last night we get a 5 minute recap of the last week and 1hr 45 minutes of a relatively boring stage. I would guess that viewers would have rather watched a 1/2 hour each on stages 11, 12, and 13 and use 30 minutes recapping the other stages. Next Sunday we'll get the same thing, 10-15 minutes dedicated to three (or is it 4) mountain top finishes and 6 million feet of climbing and then 100 minutes for the final stage, where we can watch the survivors complete many exciting circuits.

Enough of my venting. I just previewed the stage details for the last week and oh my god is it tough. I know Basso looks unstoppable but I'm thinking that anything can happen.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Suck it up. Goto www.cycling.tv and sign up for the Giro for $20. I watched the last 1 hour of each stage leading up to Sunday.. Only a few exciting spots ..

I can't wait to start watching the 3 days last hour. Its going to be fabulous!

Cevan said:
I'm couching this complaint with the ackowledgment that OLN is the only place I'm going to see cycling on my television.

During the Giro, why does OLN show the stage that happens to fall on "Cyclism Sunday"? Last night we get a 5 minute recap of the last week and 1hr 45 minutes of a relatively boring stage. I would guess that viewers would have rather watched a 1/2 hour each on stages 11, 12, and 13 and use 30 minutes recapping the other stages. Next Sunday we'll get the same thing, 10-15 minutes dedicated to three (or is it 4) mountain top finishes and 6 million feet of climbing and then 100 minutes for the final stage, where we can watch the survivors complete many exciting circuits.

Enough of my venting. I just previewed the stage details for the last week and oh my god is it tough. I know Basso looks unstoppable but I'm thinking that anything can happen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cevan said:

After getting spoiled by the cycling.tv coverage, I can't watch all the commercials on Cyclism Sundays. I end up waiting until its completely DVR'd (it's not live pictures anyway regardless how many times Phil says so!) and skip thru all the filler. This final week should be a good one.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
A4B45200 said:
After getting spoiled by the cycling.tv coverage, I can't watch all the commercials on Cyclism Sundays. I end up waiting until its completely DVR'd (it's not live pictures anyway regardless how many times Phil says so!) and skip thru all the filler. This final week should be a good one.

Yes, yes... with cycling.tv my apetite and tolerance for most things OLN has gone way down.

For that reason, I will keep quiet now. :cool:

francois

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't understand why they won't put the Sunday coverage on cycling.tv. My Tivo missed it because another show had a higher priority so now I have nothing.

Also why do they only rerun the stage once and not all day or at least two more times. Maybe make the highlights available with in an hour or two not nine!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
wks9326 said:
I don't understand why they won't put the Sunday coverage on cycling.tv. My Tivo missed it because another show had a higher priority so now I have nothing.

Also why do they only rerun the stage once and not all day or at least two more times. Maybe make the highlights available with in an hour or two not nine!
My DVR didn't record it either and not because something else had a higher priority. I think it treated it as a repeat rather than new show. I record the RAI coverage everyday so its no big deal. The RAI post race and pre-race stuff is excellent BTW, tons of interviews.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rai

Where available, order RAI from your cable provider, etc. It is excellent coverage...I think. I don't speak Italian but watching the stage and listening to music is pretty awesome.
I have every stage ready to go when I get home. 9.95 for the month from Time Warner.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
If cycling.tv could get its bandwidth together, I would be a much happier man.

This morning:
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 800 to 400 kbps) OK
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 400 to 256 kbps) OK
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 256 to 100 kbps) ...ok....
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 100 to 56 kbps) You've got to be S&&&ing me!

G

·
Argentius said:
If cycling.tv could get its bandwidth together, I would be a much happier man.

This morning:
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 800 to 400 kbps) OK
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 400 to 256 kbps) OK
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 256 to 100 kbps) ...ok....
Bad data detected -- reduce data rate? (From 100 to 56 kbps) You've got to be S&&&ing me!
That sucks, video must be totally lame at 56k :( I'm waiting till they get their act together b/4 I sign up. Argentius - if it actually gives you a choice, say no. The steam is UDP data and it's not unusual to lose some packets. If it doesn't give you a choice - then they've made you a freaking beta tester, good ole OLN :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.