1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,344 Posts

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Yes, I have to agree. Mention and credit to LA are good but they are overdoing it 10x.

It is going to make me ill if it continues.

Btw, Who is going to rule the CYCLISM??????

Don't miss the EXPANDED COVERAGE tonight!!!!!!

fc

·
Registered
339 Posts
Worst coverage ever!!!

What did they show 15 minutes of actual cycling for the whole prologue?

And those obviously pre-recorded comments from Lance just seem so out of place and obviously a marketing attempt. This is why I hate when channels can get exclusive to events like this as one gets it and diplays it however the heck they like and ruin it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'll agree that OLN needs to tone it down a bit. I'll admit I'm somewhat of a Lance fan; but come on - at least on the first showing of the prologue that I just watched, it was over the top. Yea, Lance was great and can add insight for the race, but he's not racing this year - focus on those in the race!

·
Registered
70 Posts
[optimism] I HOPE it was only because it was the prologue and kick off of le tour....perhaps they will tone it down once the actual racing starts [/optimism]

·
Registered
99 Posts
What should OLN give us?

There seems to be a lot of sentiment about what OLN/commentators should not be doing. Frankly I'm not bothered by what they are doing. I appreciate the video, enjoy Bobki because he is different, Paul Sherwin because he seems to offer some good insight, and kinda gloss over the rest. Maybe I have low expectations, or I don't know what I am missing. I watch and listen to what seems interesting, and when it isn't I read some more of the last issue of Cycle Sport or surf the net for news/interviews/etc.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think OLN should be doing to appeal further to the small group of fanatics we belong to that wouldn't alienate the broader audience that pays the bills, in addition of course to ongoing crtique of what they are doing.

This is just a straightforward question. I hope straightforward suggestions might give OLN some direction if someone there might chance to give our forum a read.

I guess my first request for OLN is to interview some mechanics about how they go over the bikes in preparation for the days stage. I'd like some commentator to ask one of them the question how an "about to pop" tire could nearly make it to the line on Floyd's bike. Maybe some questions about what type of tires they choose and why. Maybe their take on the tubular/clincher debate. Maybe the type of wheel to use depending on the elevation changes and wind conditions in the time trial. This might, however, cause the 99% of non fanatics to fall asleep/change the channel, sort of what happens to me when I turn on 10 minutes before the bike racing coverage starts and fishing is on (and I used to fish, but nowadays I fall asleep while fishing).

I am also thankful that they don't have Geraldo as a roving reporter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, I agree. I am tired of the Lance clips already. I think it is safe to say that there will be one each day sponsored by Livestrong. Lance recently said he hated racing the last two years, so give him a break. OLN is obvious worried about the national interest being reduced, which was basically a given once Lance announced his retirement.

·
Registered
789 Posts
OLN TV AM/PM- daily!

desmo13 said:
At least it is on T.V.
Yes. Let us all be grateful for OLN's commitment to broadcast this great bike race
day and night, giving consumers in all time zones an opportunity to tune in at their
convenience. Obviously, the sponsors also appreciate the broad and valuable marketing exposure with savvy, thus enabling us, the common consumer, with this daily broadcast with over half of the channel's time devoted to our beloved cycling sport! Now, IMHO that is beneficial for everyone at every level in the cycling sports activities. I hope that OLN continues to revolutionize cycling sports coverage, perhaps even investing in an all cycling TV channel, with all sorts of races: road, MTB, BMX, etc., 24/7, streamming cycling sports like MTV video clips!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,344 Posts
thread drift....

ru1-2cycle said:
I hope that OLN continues to revolutionize cycling sports coverage, perhaps even investing in an all cycling TV channel, with all sorts of races: road, MTB, BMX, etc., 24/7, streamming cycling sports like MTV video clips!
I do hope you're being ironic....

Oh, well-just in case not

FYI-this year's Protour cycling coverage is something like 1/2 of what it was last year. [email protected], they only did what? 4-1hour broadcasts for the whole friggin Giro?

Next year, they become the 'Versus' channel, and you can bet money there will be less converage of the Protour.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Here is why I dont mind Lance TV. Lance/OLN has brought huge amounts of attention to cycling in the U.S. So, you say, "who cares, I am a die hard cyclist since the wheels were square and it was called the Tour of the Roman Legions." But what about everyone else?
Everytime some yellow rubberband wearing noob buys a Madone and squeezes into spandex for his trip around suburb, he sees the limited bike access and routes. He notices the horrible pavement conditions, the deadly motorist. And maybe, he will do someting about it with his vote, or money. Maybe he thinks about commuting to work. Maybe he is one of the ones expressing his voice with others to get new bike lanes built..

Everytime I am out on my hybrid, towing my 3 year old in her trailer, and see the patchwork pavement being smooth, or see that a portion of the road is closed because they are building a new bike path to connect with another one, and the proliferaiton of "share the road" signs on my favorite rides, I am thankful. Lance/OLN has more than a small share in that thanks.

I think it would be a good idea to measure that the majority of the non pro tour following cyclist only know Lance. And Lance is cool to them. And if Lance is cool, cycling is cool. More people thinking positive about cycling, is good for all of us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Room 1201 said:

FYI-this year's Protour cycling coverage is something like 1/2 of what it was last year. [email protected], they only did what? 4-1hour broadcasts for the whole friggin Giro?

Next year, they become the 'Versus' channel, and you can bet money there will be less converage of the Protour.
OLN in Canada didn't cover the tour at all. The only cycling they have is the Tour, while they have rodeo and chuckwagon races YeeeeHaaaa!!!! every freakin' day. If I could mount a grey market dish on my condo I would.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Perspective...

Room 1201 said:

I am factual. This year we are getting daily coverage, 16 hours a day, seven days a week. In case you do not remember or are unaware, this is new and exciting, demonstrating OLN's commitment to advance the sport of cycling. OLN also provided us with exquisite coverage of most of the great European races, unlike ESPN, FOX TV, etc. No other US sports channel have come close in their service and sensitivity to our needs as powerful cycling consumers. For that I am grateful and do commend OLN TV- bravo!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I greatly appreciate OLN's coverage..

I'm just saying drop 100% Lance TV. I like what another poster said about the behind the scenes stuff. I think the general viewer would find it interesting how the riders eat etc. during the race. How the bikes are preped and all the teams move around and such. Have you ever seen inside one of the team trucks, the bike trucks. Holy cow, they cold do a half hour show on that alone. I don't think even most of us even realize what goes on day to day. I didn't realize until I spent a couple days on the TDGA circuit. Man those guys on the support staff work and work hard!

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Perspectives...

Mosovich said:
I'm just saying drop 100% Lance TV. I like what another poster said about the behind the scenes stuff. I think the general viewer would find it interesting how the riders eat etc. during the race. How the bikes are preped and all the teams move around and such. Have you ever seen inside one of the team trucks, the bike trucks. Holy cow, they cold do a half hour show on that alone. I don't think even most of us even realize what goes on day to day. I didn't realize until I spent a couple days on the TDGA circuit. Man those guys on the support staff work and work hard!

Just my .02 cents.
I agree. That is a very good suggestion, and I hope that OLN is open and willing to do so from time to time.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I think you guys would find something to complain about if OLN put you on a airplane and flew you over to watch the tour in person.

We go through this every year.

Newsflash- OLN is not directing their tour programing at us.
We would watch it if Paris Hilton was the commentator. OLN is trying to get new viewers. To joe public, Lance is still the man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.