March 5 & 12 - Paris-Nice (France) 5 p.m. ET
March 19 - Milan-San Remo/Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy) 5 p.m. ET
March 26 - Critérium International (France) 5 p.m. ET
April 9 - Paris-Roubaix (France) 5 p.m. ET
April 23 - Liège-Bastogne-Liège/Flèche-Wallonne (Belgium) 5 p.m. ET
May 7 & 14 - Giro d'Italia (Italy) 5 p.m. ET
May 21 & 28 - Giro d'Italia (Italy) 4 p.m. ET
July 1-23 - Tour de France (TBA)

Yippee! The Giro coverage has not been cut down as bad as the Vuelta was last year. On Saturdays we will have the priviledge of listening to Al Fishwig summarize the previous five stages with a few minutes left over for that day's stage.

I tried watching OLN's coverage of the Dakar rally, which featured our favorite talking head as the narrator (along with tons of time wasted on stupid computer graphic animations between segments and the equally stupid truck category). Oh, the humanity.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
I didn't pull out the old TdF tapes this year (VCR was broken), but I would be interested to see how the old 1/2 - 1 hour coverage back in the ESPN days stacks up to todays OLN shortened coverage. I actually used to like the shorter coverage, it was usually the perfect length for trainer sessions. The 2-3 hour coverage has been great, but sometimes a little dull.

The problem is, you try and condense a 5-7 hour race into 1 hour, you ending up missing big chunks of the race. Try reading along with the live report from velonews or cyclingnews and compare it to what you see on TV. They slaughtered Paris-Roubaix a couple of years ago. Missed a couple of important moves entirely. Hopefully they will figure out how to properly condense the coverage this year.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ru1-2cycle said:
I have OLN just because of their great sport of world cycling coverage, nothing else.
They don't have anything else of value. They used to have shows on climbing, hiking, mountain biking, triathlon. Now it is wall to wall PBR and Survivor reruns. Looks like when active people are in competition with couch-bound ******** for programming, it's not much of a competition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ESPN2 is going to show Tour of California

ESPN2 is supposed to be showing the Tour of California. Time are 1am-2am EST starting on 2/20/06.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Thank god for contractual obligations. All of the French races are required by their ASO contract. I assume the Giro deal requires they show MSR too.

Better start an email campaign with Dishnetwork to carry Eurosport or there won't be any euro racing on US TV in a year or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts