Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my 'Monday', and found out that my immediate superior was no longer around. Today I learned he had been involuntarily separated, aka fired. The story is that he had put his arm around a female co-worker and made some suggestions that were disturbing enough to seriously distress her.:frown2: Oh, by the way he did it in front of her husband (also a co-worker).:shocked: Husband insisted wife report the incident to management, I assume, to give them a chance to deal with it before he took it into his own hands. Management's reaction was swift and decisive (unusual as they usually flounder around before some one sacks up to do the right thing). There has been little complaint about his removal, other than how now my department is even more shorthanded than we were before.

This came as a huge surprise to me. I had little respect for that guy before (his work ethic sucked canal water), but I never expected him to do something like that. To my knowledge, sexual harassment has been a 'crash and burn' offense in every type of workplace (excepting brothels) for the last 20-30 years. It's even preached at us on a regular basis every couple months, and yet......here we are. I'm inclined to call this Olympic class stupid. Your judgement?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yesterday was my 'Monday', and found out that my immediate superior was no longer around. Today I learned he had been involuntarily separated, aka fired. The story is that he had put his arm around a female co-worker and made some suggestions that were disturbing enough to seriously distress her.:frown2: Oh, by the way he did it in front of her husband (also a co-worker).:shocked: Husband insisted wife report the incident to management, I assume, to give them a chance to deal with it before he took it into his own hands. Management's reaction was swift and decisive (unusual as they usually flounder around before some one sacks up to do the right thing). There has been little complaint about his removal, other than how now my department is even more shorthanded than we were before.

This came as a huge surprise to me. I had little respect for that guy before (his work ethic sucked canal water), but I never expected him to do something like that. To my knowledge, sexual harassment has been a 'crash and burn' offense in every type of workplace (excepting brothels) for the last 20-30 years. It's even preached at us on a regular basis every couple months, and yet......here we are. I'm inclined to call this Olympic class stupid. Your judgement?
Yup, Gold medal effort there.

EEC

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
He should be able to wear World Championship stripes. Even if he was trying to compete in a biathlon.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a serious effort not to talk to him whenever possible, since I was afraid his idiocy was contagious.
So let me guess, you told him "she really has the hots for you and her husband wants to join in!".

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update;
Found out why management moved so quickly. Bonehead had three other priors already pending in the system, including another co-worker's daughter.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Update;
Found out why management moved so quickly. Bonehead had three other priors already pending in the system, including another co-worker's daughter.
Well at least now you don't have to consider the ramifications of your employer acting "unusually" "swift and decisive" on this topic.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it now makes sense.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So explain to me how someone can behave so stupidly, jeopardizing their current and future employment not once, but THREE times?

I wish I knew. I'd say insanity, but that does a serious disservice to who(m?) truly do suffer from insanity. Another co-worker who lives close to him claims that he was whining about how now he can't be rehired back because of this. I asked if he had any explanation for his behavior, it was "I was just kidding around". Good riddance.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Other possibility--dis-inhibited closet alcoholic or substance abuser?

Or possessed by demons?

·
Proud luddite
7,233 Posts
So explain to me how someone can behave so stupidly, jeopardizing their current and future employment not once, but THREE times?
Simple: his "little brain" was doing the thinking instead of his "big brain". Most guys can override their little brain and listen to their big brain, which usually says "Don't do it!", but apparently not this guy.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Simple: his "little brain" was doing the thinking instead of his "big brain". Most guys can override their little brain and listen to their big brain, which usually says "Don't do it!", but apparently not this guy.

Probably closest to the truth. He also displayed that 'Since I showed up, I deserve a trophy too' mentality. Throw in the fact that certain management protected him (likely because it was less work than dealing with him in accordance with company policy), it gave him a belief that he could get away with anything.

The part that truly irks me about him is the fact that when he would exert himself to do his job, he really did have some ability. That he would squander that ability, then lose any chance to use it at all, makes me sad, angry, and frustrated.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The part that truly irks me about him is the fact that when he would exert himself to do his job, he really did have some ability.
All my employers have had an informal calculus weighing your value to the company against how much of a liability you are. That's why we retained the maintenance tech who'd been with the company ten years when we discovered he'd applied with false documents but canned another tech who urinated in front of a leasing agent. Never heard if the latter was indoors or out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts