Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the men's moguls finals and holy fawk! Things have come a long way in the past 4 years since Moseley's Dinner Rolls. For one, it's about time that full inverted aerial maneuvers are finally legal, that opened up a lot of doors. But WOW, they're doing some crazy stuff now: straight full-back-double fulls off the upper jump (backflip with two rotations), and corked 1080's off the bottom?!? zounds. Everyone else and their brother was doing D-7's off the lower jump, gawd.

I think Mikko Ronkainen's (Finland) final run was a gold medal material, way moreso than Dale Begg's (Australian guy). His airs where huge and sick, and his turns were just awesome. Definitely think he deserved gold. Pretty cool that Toby got bronze.

Well, I suppose in Vancouver '12 they're gonna be doing quad-twisting triples off the jumps in the moguls, might as well combine the aerials and moguls events into one single event :)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Bilodeau's top jump was the best I thought (a 1080 something sick that no one else can do). Then he lands a little on the back of his skis after his 2nd jump and his score suffered bc of it. I'd rather see super hard jumps (like a 1080)where they land on the back of their skis or off balance over less hard jumps (like a 360, 720 or basic flip) that get landed better. They all looked SICK!

G

·
They agreed to start wearing helmets, now they are allowed to do moves they weren't allowed to do before.

Vancouver/Whistler is in 2010.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
lousylegs said:
I watched it too, but had to turn it off, the [email protected] announcers were driving me crazy, I could not stand hearing them say," He's got to go big" one more time. Ugh.
Yeah, I've had to hit *mute* quite often. Some of NBCs announcers can really screw up these events.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I realize the stuff they do is hella tough, but how can one objectively judge one mogulist vs the other? It's like the women's halfpipe the other night. Yeah...you got some air off that...did a 720 off that, but how can you say the one was any better than the other? Unless you crash it's subjective. Timed events aren't like that. Games where you count goals scored aren't like that. And WTF is up with curling? Is there any country where that is a big sport? Do people go nuts for curling in--let's say--Sweden? I don't get some of the sports they include.

G

·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I realize the stuff they do is hella tough, but how can one objectively judge one mogulist vs the other? It's like the women's halfpipe the other night. Yeah...you got some air off that...did a 720 off that, but how can you say the one was any better than the other? Unless you crash it's subjective. Timed events aren't like that. Games where you count goals scored aren't like that. And WTF is up with curling? Is there any country where that is a big sport? Do people go nuts for curling in--let's say--Sweden? I don't get some of the sports they include.
Actually - yeah - there are places where curling is a HUGE sport including Canada and most of the northern european countries.

Now, having said that my view of curling is probably skewed by the fact that I have three - count 'em -- THREE - former world champions in my family.

Saw a piece on the news earlier today - the #1 event for TV ratings in Italy during this Olympics is - CURLING. The people have figured that it is basically Bocce on ice so they understand the paly and the scoring - seems they're going nuts for it.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
somebody enlighten me. is mogul (apparently) snowboarding in a snow-half-pipe or something? i only watch the decathlons and stuff, which ain't happ'nen.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
The

Bocephus Jones II said:

small town in upper northwest North Dakota where my wife is from is crazy about curling. They eat, sleep, and breathe it up there. That and Ice Hockey and deer hunting....saw a van last time I was up there with 12 deer carcasses on it.....crazy. Also, have not seen one road bike, despite the fact that they have miles of recently paved road through gorgeous country. Apparently, a curling tournament is called a Bonspeil or something like that.....they love it. I don't understand it, but I keep quiet, when in rome...you know.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bocephus Jones II said:
Objectively, you can't judge. The nature of judging *anything* is all about subjectivity. In moguls, there is a component of the competitor's score that is his clock time down to the bottom of the course (this makes up 25% of the score). The other two components of the score are judged: 2 judges for the jumps (25% of the score) and 5 judges for the quality of the mogul turns in between the jumps (50% of the score). As far as how you judge whose jumps and turns are better than the next guys, I guess it's like judging figure skating, gymnastics, or anything else...the judges have a lot of experience in watching these guys and after a while you start to see the nuances of the athlete's styles and abilities and make a subjective score based on this experience.

For example, maybe one guy's turns were perfect: knees pinned together and absorbing the bumps the whole way down, upper body smoothe and quiet, skis maintaining contact with the snow through all the turns...but his jumps were weak. Maybe his tricks in the air were easy, or maybe he landed on his behind. The next guy maybe had awesome jumps: lots of height off the jump, difficult tricks executed crisply, and landed perfectly...but his turns were sloppy. Maybe he got in the back seat on the tails of his skis and lost his turn form just in the name of staying upright without crashing. These are all things that a judge has to weigh to figure out who was better than whom in the end.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haiku d'etat said:
somebody enlighten me. is mogul (apparently) snowboarding in a snow-half-pipe or something? i only watch the decathlons and stuff, which ain't happ'nen.
Eh? Not sure what you are asking. Moguls is a discipline of skiing, not snowboarding (although one could snowboard through a mogul course, it is not an olympic event). Its the type of skiing where the competitor goes down the hill that is covered with bumps and his knees are going crazy as his legs absorb all the moguls. The skier is basically judged by how well he keeps his knees together the whole way down and how well he keeps his upper body smooth and quiet, and separated from the motion of his shock-absorbing legs. Also, there are two jumps placed along the mogul course...one after the first third and the other after the second third of the course, and the skier pops off the jumps and does some kind of tricks (nowadays, typically involving spins and flips), lands, and continues skiing thru the moguls.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Actually - yeah - there are places where curling is a HUGE sport including Canada and most of the northern european countries.

You've got that right. I would say that most people outside of Canada, Scotland or the Scandinavian countries don't realise the sport's popularity. It seems a funny coincidence that Americans proclaim a sport as universally unpopular, while not realising that sports like American football, basketball and baseball are fringe sports around most of Europe.

As you said, curling is huge in Canada. It's impossible to watch the provincial championships and not know at least one of the competitors. The Brier and Scott Tournament of Hearts are covered almost as well as the Stanley Cup, if not more so. I don't think our friends south of the border would understand this. As I watch the Olympics from my house in the UK, I chuckle a bit when I tell my friends that the Canadian curlers we're watching in the Olympics are superstars of the sport back home. Not even my British mates can relate, as curling is actually quite fringe here (at least in England), although Rhona Martin gets a lot of coverage is their homegrown darling of the sport. If she hadn't won the gold four years ago, I am willing to bet she would be ignored completely.

Right now the British darling of the Olympics is the silver medalist in the women's skeleton. They won't stop talking about it! The news outlets keep quoting the phrase "Silver Bullet" when talking about her achievement. I suppose since the UK Chef de Mission said Great Britain expected to maybe win one medal, then this is huge news for the country. In Canada, where anything less than 15 medals is a failure, we would just ask, "why wasn't it gold?!?!?!" :D

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Canada Curlers 3-3. Do they even make the medal round?

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
spyderman said:
Canada Curlers 3-3. Do they even make the medal round?
They're 4-3, with two matches remaining. They pretty much have to win their next two and hope for another team to lose a couple matches in order to make the playoffs. The Canadian women certainly aren't very strong, which leads me to believe that Canada's teams aren't as good as in years past. Perhaps the selection method has something to do with it.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
[Personally I don't think "mogul" and "Olympic" should be used in the same sentence.

G

·
The The said:
They're 4-3, with two matches remaining. They pretty much have to win their next two and hope for another team to lose a couple matches in order to make the playoffs. The Canadian women certainly aren't very strong, which leads me to believe that Canada's teams aren't as good as in years past. Perhaps the selection method has something to do with it.
The selection method was changed this year to one where it was one spiel, winner on both sides went to Turin.

In past years it has been based on performance over two years so the strongest teams overall won out.

It was clear even at the qualifier that the teams that won were not the strongest, they just won on the day. Having said, Gushue has a good team but he has calling the game like a blind monkey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.