Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· You call that running?
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A month ago I would have said Cancellara in a runaway, then he got beat twice at the TdF. Schumacher has the handicap of being a pretty good bet for the RR as well as the TT. Zabriskie hasn't been racing since he crashed out of the Giro so who knows how he'll do? If pressed I'd probably pick those three in that order but I'm sure someone I'm not thinking of will pull out a good ride. What do you guys think?

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Haven't been able to find a TT course profile. The hillier it gets, better it looks for Schumi.

Zabriskie won't do it; there's nothing like post-TdF form, and you just can't train yourself into that. Witness Contador getting dropped at San Sebastian.

· What offseason?
534 Posts
I haven't seen a course profile either, but at Cascade, both Leipheimer and Kristin Armstrong said that the Olympic course was almost identical to that TT which was an out and back with a gradual 3-4% climb to the turnaround and a return on the downhill.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Leipheimer pull it out, but my gut says Cancellara. Zabriskie may have superb form since he's had nothing else to work towards in the last 3 months, but I don't think this kind of course suits him.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
coldass said:
Spartacus must be odds-on after that RR. Could Sanchez get two golds? Evans could get a podium (remember he was born in the tropics). Rogers if he can recover.
Only thing I can say for sure is that Sanchez can't win the TT.

Fabian for sure has to be the favorite. Rogers went pretty well in the RR, Evans is always a threat. Denis Menchov can put in a good TT too.

I bet Shumacher doesn't get top 3.

G

·
How many kms did Z race b/4 he dropped out of the RR?

I'd like to think that Levi was doing the RR mainly to get ready for the TT, since he couldn't get his butt over the last climb in time - but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

· Registered
55 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Only thing I can say for sure is that Sanchez can't win the TT.

Yeah I guess he won't get a start for Spain... But he is a handy at TT and has has good results. A hard course with the humidity will play a huge hand again.

EDIT: I just read the startlist post. He is in. I therefore think he could be a chance. I'd bet on Evans though. It might be too hilly for Spartacus.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I want the Swiss freight train to win this one and I hope he does.

I also hope Levi makes the podium as he has the ability too. Cadel - well, he'll be up there or close.

· Registered
447 Posts
I'm picking Levi as well for an excellent showing in the TT. And who knows, maybe Mick Rogers will show the 3 time TT World Champ form of old too.

And as for some people writing off the chances of riders because they haven't done the Tour. A quick look at the RR results shows 4 of the top 7 riders did not do the Tour including Rebellin (2nd), Kolobnev (4th), Rogers (6th), and Botero (7th).

· Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd say the TT will be exciting, and there's no telling who's gonna medal. I'd say that schumi is still a favorite. The effect of heat and humidity of one day, has nothing to do with the next day.
If anything, you ride in it for a couple hours, and you're fine.

· Registered
930 Posts
Nimitz said:
when is the TT?

and where is the best place to watch it?

Chad
If you're in the US, you can access online Olympic streams via NBC here. Change your location so you can get the right times! If you're outside the US then you need to go to your network tv's site that is airing the Olympics, they will probably have it there too.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.