Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I place very little faith in anyone other than myself. So when I see all of the big talk and the hype, I scratch my head and try to figure out what’s the big deal. When I hear about someone blew it, somebody else cheated…I am never shocked. People are people.

But for the few media knee jerks, there are literally hundreds of others who have sacrificed so much of their and their families lives to be there. Not wishing to becoming the next big $$ deal (though I’m sure most would not turn it down, me included) but to test themselves against the clock, others and ultimately, themselves.

For an athlete to time everything just so that allows them to peak at this time in their athletic life…well it takes more work than I could ever imagine. The stars have to be all lined up just right, or their prayers have all been heard or their inner voice has pushed them beyond what most mortals are not capable of (or all of the above) to be part of the Olympics.

I enjoy the Olympics more than any other sporting event (the TdF is a close second) of which I am a spectator. But, I’d rather participate in almost any sport than watch any sport. But I have some favorites in the winter Olympics that have really caught my attention.

The Ski Jump. My earliest recollection of any sport is the ski jump. Really made famous by the opening of ABC’s WW of Sports.

This is incredible. To fully appreciate what these guys are doing, one would have to put ones self in their boots. Wow. Does it take an athlete? Don’t know how good a shape you got to be in, but you surely gotta have a pair to do this (no offense ladies, I’m sure your species could be as equally represented).

Speedskating…Not so much the short track, but the distance events. I speed skate myself (in-line) and am proud to see my kind tearing up the ice this year. Way to go! If you have never tried in-line racing, do it. It is so similar to bicycle road racing…especially the tactics. The equipment is common as well. We use carbon, aluminum, leather, high end wheels and tires. I even race in the same gear (clothes)
Come to think of it, the short track reminds me of velodrome racing. Nothing but heart pounding attacks and no second chances…

Cross Country and Biathlon. These two sports have really caught my interest this year. Forget adding cyclocross to the Winter Olympics, it’s already there. The lactic build up can be seen in these athletes faces as they sprint to the finish or have to carry themselves up one more pass. And being able to shoot a target the size of a 50 cent piece with your heart pounding at 180 + bpm…Awesome.

Now, I have to admit I gotta check out the Ice Dancing. Don’t care much for the guys, but those girls are perfect. I can’t watch very much as I don’t want to be unfaithful to my wife.

What I don’t like…Two things.

The opening ceremony…I try to figure out what is going on but I guess I am not artsy enough. Thank goodness.

Coverage. Someday, I bet I’ll be able to select from a menu which sports I want to see and watch at my leisure. But for now, I have to keep checking for good stuff.

All in all, I really look forward to both the Summer and Winter games, with their good and bad.

And considering it’s NBC, the coverage has been pretty good. Lots of sports, not quite as much fluff.

Just my 2 cents worth…

G

·
That the Olympics are nothing more than a big business, not so much about sports, business. It just so happens that the "sports" are give rise to the business, but in my view the sports are becoming marginalized in the pursuit of ungodly profit.

There is a line in the latest book about Armstrong where the author talks about "rivers of money" - that is what the Olympics is all about. In the mad drive to enhance the business model and to create advertiser interest through increased TV viewing they keeep adding more events to the Olympics.

I remember way back when the TV guide would say from this time to this time - downhill skiing. And you could watch two hours of the event and see every competitor. Now there are so many sports and so much talking head time in the studio that they flit from event to event and give you 10 minutes highlights of the event and show you four competitors.

It has gone greatly downhill ( no pun intended) in my opinion and makes me much less interested and much less likely to watch.

The very things they have done to try and create interest are in fact achieving the opposite result and driving people away.

Lots of news about how the TV ratings and numbers are down and the possibility that the broadcasters may even have to repay advertiser money.

For the most part, the Athletes, are getting and facing the promise of even bigger money later. No altruism involved in the Olympics - just $$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Too many "sports"

I think the Olympics should eliminate all subjectively judged "sports". If the result cannot be measured by a tape, a stopwatch or head to head competition get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
DW4477 said:
I think the Olympics should eliminate all subjectively judged "sports". If the result cannot be measured by a tape, a stopwatch or head to head competition get rid of it.
Really. Can you name a single sport that doesn't have judges or referees?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
DW4477 said:
Highest, Farthest, Fastest, Strongest....not a whole lot of wiggle room or subjective interpretation involved........

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
svend said:
Highest, Farthest, Fastest, Strongest....not a whole lot of wiggle room or subjective interpretation involved........
Until the official applies a subjective interpretation of the rules. Like I said, name the sport without officials to administer the rules. Once you have humans making decisions, there will always be some element of subjectivity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts