wtf? :confused:

Someone please 'splain.
For me, it's all about Cassie Johnson.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
rwbadley said:
Curling is Kewl
Sure, when you're sitting in front of your telly, sipping on some magic brew you've mixed up!

I have to admit, it was facinating, in a bizzaro world sort of way.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,739 Posts
Curling Rules!

snapdragen said:

Someone please 'splain.
I was on a remote assignment in Greenland for a year and one of the few stations they'd pipe in was the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.). They would play professional curling...and the sport kind of grew on me after awhile. It's like bowling with brooms!!!

But the sport pales in comparison to Monkey Curling
http://www.net-cafe.hu/games/monkey/start.php

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Don't

snapdragen said:

Someone please 'splain.

know much about it, cept it's basically like shuffleboard on ice. My wifes hometown in upper northwest north dakota, now that's curling country, I felt like an idiot cause I didn't know what a BONSPIEL was, apparently it is a curling tournament. They take it pretty seriously up there. That deer hunting, hockey, and snowmobiling are huge. It's a shame that no one up there bikes, because the town she grew up in has a pop. of like 1000 people and the nearest city of more than 500 is two hours in any direction, except canada, which is only like 35 minutes, but the state has spent a fortune and built all of these great roads and there is little traffic. Of course the traffic that is there is going 70mph plus...but great roads.

·
Registered
727 Posts
physasst said:
know much about it, cept it's basically like shuffleboard on ice. My wifes hometown in upper northwest north dakota, now that's curling country, I felt like an idiot cause I didn't know what a BONSPIEL was, apparently it is a curling tournament. They take it pretty seriously up there. That deer hunting, hockey, and snowmobiling are huge. It's a shame that no one up there bikes, because the town she grew up in has a pop. of like 1000 people and the nearest city of more than 500 is two hours in any direction, except canada, which is only like 35 minutes, but the state has spent a fortune and built all of these great roads and there is little traffic. Of course the traffic that is there is going 70mph plus...but great roads.
north dakota isn't curling country- canada is curling country. you guys are curling posers!!!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
cmatcan said:
north dakota isn't curling country- canada is curling country. you guys are curling posers!!!
I'm smiling, but deep down, I'm rooting for Sweden ;). Canada is having a rough tournament so far.
Cheers, Wayne

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
spellbound

I was picked on a few days ago for watching but it is sort of mesmerizing. I was watching it while writing lesson plans last weekend and I like it. It does appear to be something like shuffleboard or Bocce Ball on ice.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Hey, that women's Curling last night was cool. If only they dressed like the beach Volleyball chik-a-leen-ees. I liked it especially when the one was yelling, hard, hard...that's when my wife snickered at me. Sorry, but it was kind of erotic. Hey, I'm from Wisconsin I can't help it. Ever watch Red/Green?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,404 Posts
Just another non-sport, sport.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I started watching curling during the 02 games, and I got hooked. I was yelling at the TV and cheering. My wife thought I was nuts.

But to me, it played out just like a great pitcher-batter duel. It was awesome.

I haven't been able to watch much of it this year.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
of all the sports in the world why curling? how many of you know someone that curls? made up sport for the olympics is what I think.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
kpcw said:
There are HOT chicks on ice rolling rocks? I'll watch it/hit it/whatev
Is bowling an Olympiuc sport? I can even see that because bowling alleys are everywhere, but curling alleys? Never seen one. Is dart throwing an olympic sport?

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
Competitive ice sweeping? Janitors of the world, your sport has arrived!

;)

G

·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Is bowling an Olympiuc sport? I can even see that because bowling alleys are everywhere, but curling alleys? Never seen one. Is dart throwing an olympic sport?
Ah, that wonderful US centric point of view.

Curling is a huge sport in most of the world, including large parts of the US. Places that actually get winter.

In Canada, every town, no matter how small has a curling club and it is really, the centre of Social Life in many of those small towns. Especially on the prairies, this is no different than in the northern states where the curling club is in every town and is a social centre for the town as well as a sports facility.

Curling, in fact is more of a sport than many of the sports at the Olympics as it is accessible by and to anyone. The costs are low and the facilities are plentiful. It is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. The price of entry is a broom and some shoes

Is it athletic? No, not really. Does it belong in the Olympics? Yes, it is a readily accessible sport available to anyone.

I don't curl, never have but it is a fascinating game of strategy, a lot of fun to watch. I also married into a family with 3 former world champions in it, so it is a popular sport in my family.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I'm not doubting that it is popular in some places--just that it doesn't seem to be a sport that belongs in the Olympics. Do they have Bocce ball in the Olympics? Shuffleboard? Pool? I put curling in the same league as those "sports".

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Lots of new Olympic "Sports"

became Olympic sports for marketing reasons, e.g. all forms of snowboarding, to broaden the marketing appeal of the franchise. No different from Nascar adding a truck racing series.

Curling's in the Olympics precisely because it has a large contingent of devotees and the IOCC wants them to watch Olympics on TV which will increase the TV share and the price of advertising time, etc., etc., etc.. Same for Snowboarding and the other new sports.

Hmm, Olympic shuffleboard competition. I like that idea....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts