Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The games must go on !!!
Olympics organizers will ban spectators from the games in Tokyo, after Japan declared a state of emergency amid rising Covid-19 cases in the country.

Sounds like Japan is going to take a big bite - $15.4 Billion budget and only $7.75 Billion for media rights. Plus the loss of tourist revenue. I'm surprised they didn't just postpone for a year, but I guess that wouldn't be fair to the athletes that have already qualified.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,283 Posts
I wonder how much money under-the-table it cost also. But, that is the skeptic in me. I cannot say I have missed the Olympics in the last 20 years or so. (nor US sports, professional or "not professional" etc)

Would a good contract have a clause for pandemic where broadcasting can be re-negotiated? The broadcasters would not like...but given a pandemic, they should have much higher viewing numbers (well, last year they would)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"...but given a pandemic, they should have much higher viewing numbers"
Hmm, I never thought of it that way. Maybe viewership will be way up with everyone "working" from home. I can see that you're a "glass is half-full kind of guy".

·
Proud luddite
7,205 Posts
My main concern is the time difference and how it will impact my viewing. Since America rules the world, all Olympic competition should take place during hours that are convenient to Americans. Dammit!

Just kidding of course. 😁

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,283 Posts
".. I can see that you're a "glass is half-full kind of guy". View attachment 480032
No. Very much no. Glass is not half empty either. More of a "whatever is in the glass is poison and enough to take us all out" kinda guy.

I've bowled there. Groundhog day was filmed in the town over from where I grew up. That may not be saying much for California or NY folks...but this was Illinois (and outside of Chicago Illinois even) RIP Harold Ramis

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,761 Posts
At this point the Olympics are too big too cancel for Japan. Lots of under-the table Yakuza money and comfort women given to the committee to choose the venue that must be recouped.

I may watch the mens cycling event, and the wife will tune into the ladies gymnastics... but that's about it. The inevitable video pieces of the "courage and drive" of the American athletes persevering during Covid interspersed in the broadcast I'll ignore.

·
Registered
29,084 Posts
Thank you China

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,799 Posts
My main concern is the time difference and how it will impact my viewing. Since America rules the world, all Olympic competition should take place during hours that are convenient to Americans. Dammit!

Just kidding of course. 😁
LOL....seeing as NBC has a monopoly on Olympic coverage--and insists on making the Olympics as unwatchable with crap and fluff and ads as possible--to the extent of not even airing 95% of the events....IOC is right to not care about NBC or its monopoly.

I haven't gone out of my way to watch any Olympics in the last 20 years easily, thanks to NBC.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If bowling was in this years Olympics, I would watch it, otherwise....pfft.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I should've guessed from your avatar, no? :unsure:
I was attempting sarcasm and now can see the confusion. Avatar is the dude on cover of a Supertramp LP. I guess it does kinda look like he is bowling or going for an estray birdy.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
good part of the O-games is that I only have to ignore them every four years...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Have no idea how I will be able to view anything, not having cable. I only really want to view the mens and women's XC MTB race. The next big road race is the Worlds in Sept, not the olympics.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Have no idea how I will be able to view anything, not having cable. I only really want to view the mens and women's XC MTB race. The next big road race is the Worlds in Sept, not the olympics.
Vuelta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
oh yeah Spain, I see it starts in august this year. Thought it was usually later in September

·
Registered
961 Posts
The tone here is way too cynical for me, even in a/the lounge. What's not to enjoy more than watching the world's best athletes compete? Mostly in a pure sport, like winning a finals race and being the best at that moment in the world?

·
Registered
857 Posts
The Olympic road cycling broadcast schedule is available at: Olympic Cycling TV/Online Schedule | VeloNews.com
The broadcasts will be spread out over the NBCSN, the Olympic channel, USA network and CNBC. I already have my DVR set for the men's and women's road race and time trial. That will have to be my bike racing fix until the Vuelta, which will be broadcast on NBCSN beginning August 14th.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts