Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
The tone here is way too cynical for me, even in a/the lounge. What's not to enjoy more than watching the world's best athletes compete? Mostly in a pure sport, like winning a finals race and being the best at that moment in the world?
The problem for me is how the athletes have brought in their politics into the events, stuff like refusing to honor the American flag. In many cases they feel their personal views and beliefs are more important than respecting the nation that sent them as representatives to the world. That pretty much negates the "pure sport" side of it to me.

Reactions: Retro Grouch

·
gazing from the shadows
27,239 Posts
The problem for me is how the athletes have brought in their politics into the events, stuff like refusing to honor the American flag. In many cases they feel their personal views and beliefs are more important than respecting the nation that sent them as representatives to the world. That pretty much negates the "pure sport" side of it to me.
So, since 1968?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,761 Posts
The Olympics were much simpler when athletes would forego their own narcissism and just represent the purity of their country. That said, Bravo to Jesse for spoiling Adolph's party.

The games have always been a farce and just a vehicle for the host nation to promote its propaganda.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts