Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Torino Olympics upon us, I ask the question why isn't cyclocross in the olympics?

Worlds were only a few weeks ago, and there are still superprestige races going on, it seems logical to have cyclocross in the winter olympics.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
cyclemedic said:
With the Torino Olympics upon us, I ask the question why isn't cyclocross in the olympics?

Worlds were only a few weeks ago, and there are still superprestige races going on, it seems logical to have cyclocross in the winter olympics.
They've tried recently, I can't remember whether it was the winter or summer Olympics they tried to get it into. Despite the fact that worlds' have been held on appropriately icy/snowy courses a few times in the last decade because they've been held outside the heart of cross in the lowland countries of Holland and Belgium, 99% of races are not held on courses that fit into the winter Olympic theme of ice or snow, yet it's not a summer sport either.

·
Registered
727 Posts
give the world a little more time to catch on, they're catching on pretty well as it is. every single sport, even the most awesome ones, can't be in the olympics at the drop of a dime. it has to prove it has longevity in the mainstream of sports. bmx has been popular for way longer and it is just getting in now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One of the main factor is the number of participants, and in how many countries.
Even in Holland/Belgium, there really are not that many CX riders. Just a lot of good ones. Same with Ice skating, we have some super fast dudes and chicks here, world class, but I don't know one skater personally that really treats it as a sport like I do mtb racing (my main gig). Yet, skaters are quick numerous over the world. Lots of ice stadiums out there. And tv viewers also care about that sport in many of those countries, as long as the countrymen win from time to time.
Even in Belgium, the number of serious MTB racers is still multifold of cyclo-cross, I'm sure. MTB's are so much lower-entry. And you can actually ride them comfortable on trails. Even in the nicer parts of Belgium, CX bikes more or less reduce you to a hiker. Not too many riders that think it's worth it to invest €20000 in a couple bikes and do nothing but CX racing all winter.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well SLC would have been a good start

as there are enough warmer zones to stage a race. we need to pressure the Vancouver Olypic Committee 2010. think of all the spectators from Washington and Oregon alone. Again this area has enough lower elevation stuff to stage a race. every city gets to choose or add a sport (sometimes only as a Demo)

we need to start banging on the Can Olympic Commitee. they've got some good cxersd (especially women) they could possibly medal

·
Registered
274 Posts
this has been debated before. There was even a velonews article regarding this once.

What I remember is that one of the criteria for a sport to be considered is that it must be popular in at least 32 countries. That alone bars cyclocross.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Poprad.US Nats this year.

we'll race on snow.just give us a chance

G

·
The main criterion for inclusion in the Winter Olympics is that snow or ice must be the surface on which the sport takes place. Snow or ice are not required for cross. Sure it can occur in those conditions but it is not necessary. Thus, no winter olympics for cross.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It would be cool of 'cross became a summer olympic sport. IT would need 32 countries each with national championships and representataion at the world championships first. I was racing 'cross in the hot september sun last year... Loved it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
mattv2099 said:
It would be cool of 'cross became a summer olympic sport. IT would need 32 countries each with national championships and representataion at the world championships first. I was racing 'cross in the hot september sun last year... Loved it.
Yeah, you were flying in Sept but you sure did suffer in the snow. ;) Well, you still finished ahead of me though so i cant give you to much crap. :D Missed you at the cross meeting on Thursday, it was good. See you on the Mtb!

cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
DPCX said:
Yeah, you were flying in Sept but you sure did suffer in the snow. ;) Well, you still finished ahead of me though so i cant give you to much crap. :D Missed you at the cross meeting on Thursday, it was good. See you on the Mtb!

cheers,
Dave
Hey, wuzup dave. I work evenings so I couldn't go to the meeting. What did I miss?!?! I'm mainly curious about new category info for the '06 'cross season. Like what will A become next year? 1-2, 1-2-3, ???

Only 2 weeks until the first indie series race. I'm ready, R U???

later,

matt

·
Registered
635 Posts
mattv2099 said:
Hey, wuzup dave. I work evenings so I couldn't go to the meeting. What did I miss?!?! I'm mainly curious about new category info for the '06 'cross season. Like what will A become next year? 1-2, 1-2-3, ???

Only 2 weeks until the first indie series race. I'm ready, R U???

later,

matt
It was a good meeting. Check the seattle website forum, i think someone (Ryan?) said he would fill you in. It looks as though the A's will go to 1-2, the B's are 3's & so on. Dane (the USCF) official was there too & mentioned that this year will be sort of trial & error to get people in the right classes in our series. We really didnt cover the road vs cross vs mtb categories. I myself only race a few road races a year, usually a 4 (mtn as a expert)but was assured that i wont be forced to race C's. Personally, i think if you are a lower category on the road you should have the choice to race up in cross (if you can hang). However, if you are a 1-2 on the road, you should race that in cross too, not race down because you are new to it.

Ready for mtb season?? not really. I've been skiing twice a week since Thanksgiving. Got a few good rides in but no real training yet. I was going to do the Westside series today but my legs are wrecked from three hard days on the bike & skiing hard yesterday. Think i'll just go for a spin today. See you at Indie #1!!

sorry to get this thread sidetracked. guess i should have PM'd matt. :)

DP

·
Registered
635 Posts
mattv2099 said:
thanks for the info, dave!

Did they talk about upgrading procedures? upgrade points?
One thing they are going to watch is average lap times, just like at the finals. Then they will compare the times to the next category up & see where they would fit/place. Of course this only works if all the courses are the same. Remember they had to lengthen Kelly Creek in the snow because the course got faster througout the day. We'll see what happens. Oh yeah, we did all agree that Russell will have to move up because of his blazing fast lap times. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Curling it the standard response to any Olympics-related discussion. And I agree. Why would Curling make the cut, and not Bowling or Darts?
How hard can curling really be? I'd love to set up a team, for kicks, beat everyone and then denounce that we just did it to disprove curling to be a sport, and definately unworthy of the Olympics. :)
Same with darts, but that game seems to take a couple weeks to get "nailed", and I'm inherently lazy.

CX as a demonstration sport would be a great start. BMX got into it that way too. In any case doing a support-act to an Olympics, be it summer or winter, would really help the sport anyhow. And you betcha the crowd would come to see a snow-certain CX race with all the usual pro's.
I think it would be interesting to have open-rules bike races on XC ski courses. Should be fun?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wasn't brining it up to question whether it is a sport or not. I simply wonder if the "32 countries are into it" rule applies.

The real question, what action can be taken to try to get cross entered as a demonstration sport? Who do we need to send letters to? USA Cycling? The IOC?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
maybe the way to bridge into the olympics is through the X-games...

that would get some visibility to the sport...

doing it in the summer is a bad idea. It would mess with the road and mtb racers that also do CX. How many racers would make CX the priority, not many i'd guess...
we'd need every racer we could to get it onto that level global stage. Besides, it ligns up perfectly with worlds and nationals

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
dfleck said:
maybe the way to bridge into the olympics is through the X-games...

that would get some visibility to the sport...

doing it in the summer is a bad idea. It would mess with the road and mtb racers that also do CX. How many racers would make CX the priority, not many i'd guess...
we'd need every racer we could to get it onto that level global stage. Besides, it ligns up perfectly with worlds and nationals

plus the UCI would prob drop two more road or track events to "make room"... they just did this to the kilo and 500m after the IOC added bmx

·
Registered
9 Posts
regarding Olympic demonstration sport contention

zank said:
I wasn't brining it up to question whether it is a sport or not. I simply wonder if the "32 countries are into it" rule applies.

The real question, what action can be taken to try to get cross entered as a demonstration sport? Who do we need to send letters to? USA Cycling? The IOC?
Oddly enough... Maxim had a couple lines in one of their recent issues about setting up an Olympic demonstration sport in an article on the Winter Olympics. I'll find the issue today and reply with what it mentioned... I guess there were a couple sports that broke into the Olympics this way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts