Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's retro-cool, and Spartacus has signed on to give it some cred; Kickstarter | Omata One

Strange that the page lists BLE/ANT+ capability, but first-gen product will neither upload via it nor collect data from other sensors.

Garmin 1/4 turn would also be nice, but likely prone to a lawsuit.

Price is also steep @ $499 (rising to $599 after the initial campaign) and another $2.5K to ride a "fondo" with Spartacus :eek:

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
Meh. $600 for device that does less than a $300 device?

"OMATA’s choice to show the most important ride data in an analog form" "It displays the four metrics most relevant to you on a ride: speed, distance, ascent and time."
Who are you to tell me what is the most important ride data? Well guess what, every Garmin can do that.. and better. I can have even less data to make it easier to read.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Honestly this doesn't really much appeal. Mechanical gearing, and limited metrics not going to capture any enthusiasts.

For perspective a garmin edge 25, which is an elegant design has more functionality at a price of 125.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot about the Edge 20/25.

If I wanted simplicity, that's the route I'd go.
The 25 is def better because of ant+ and blte. The 20 you still need to connect it to a computer, and it cant do cadence or hr.

Or if you have a smartphone the wahoo reflekt.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Back when I first started riding, I used this. (but took it off less than a year later, because it looked too "wankerish")

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Brilliant!

Now not only can you have an electronic failure, you can also have a mechanical failure within an electronic device?!

Everything comes full circle, even technology it seems. Im still rocking this;

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Brilliant!

Now not only can you have an electronic failure, you can also have a mechanical failure within an electronic device?!

View attachment 313450
That looks like something that came out when they were still chiseling bicycles straight out of stone.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Honestly this doesn't really much appeal. Mechanical gearing, and limited metrics not going to capture any enthusiasts...
It'll capture enthusiasts of mechanical gearing and limited metrics. I think that's what they're counting on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Brilliant!

View attachment 313450
I used to use one of those odometers 40+ years ago. they worked fine until you got going downhill too fast and the spoke finger would smash into and bend one of the odometer wheel prongs.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This speedometer, odomter, altimeter could have been done so much cheaper though than 499usd. They should of just made a smart phone app to control the head unit, not have put the gps into the head unit.

Omata should of just taken the wahoo reflekt approach. Where unit is just a display.

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
This speedometer, odomter, altimeter could have been done so much cheaper though than 499usd. They should of just made a smart phone app to control the head unit, not have put the gps into the head unit.

Omata should of just taken the wahoo reflekt approach. Where unit is just a display.
I don't think a lot of people want to use their smart phone as a head unit.

They could've just made the device full electronic but with an analog lcd display. Customizable to display what gauges you want.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't think a lot of people want to use their smart phone as a head unit.

They could've just made the device full electronic but with an analog lcd display. Customizable to display what gauges you want.
With the wahoo reflekt your phone just transmits data over blte blue tooth low energy. And your smart phone can rest in your jersey pocket.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We might perceive this as better, more reliable (no mechanical parts) etc., but I think this goes against the ethos of a product (essentially a modern-day version of what Mr Grumpy posted) for the flush, vinyl-spinning, retro-cool hipsters.

With only a small amount of circuitry, they're either building in a massive profit or Seiko is taking all the cash for its electro-mechanical module i.e. the core technology of the product. Plus whatever they're paying Spartacus as a marketing ambassador...

Have to agree with earlier posts; functional equivalence of a Garmin 20/25, at ~4x the price = FAIL

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We might perceive this as better, more reliable (no mechanical parts) etc., but I think this goes against the ethos of a product (essentially a modern-day version of what Mr Grumpy posted) for the flush, vinyl-spinning, retro-cool hipsters.

With only a small amount of circuitry, they're either building in a massive profit or Seiko is taking all the cash for its electro-mechanical module i.e. the core technology of the product. Plus whatever they're paying Spartacus as a marketing ambassador...

Have to agree with earlier posts; functional equivalence of a Garmin 20/25, at ~4x the price = FAIL

Honestly though, this device doesn't serve any purpose. If you want to be retro, then get a purely mechanical speedo, and odo. But for logging just get a simple garmin 25.

What they should be focusing in on is a purely mechanical speedo, that has a cleaner look to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts