Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant]

Oh my f$$king God -- will someone please tell Pat McQuaid to man up .... he has played his cards and lost. Today he's saying he'll kill off the biological passport (instead of seeking a new funding structure and partnership with the race organisers), yesterday he's threatening legal action because not a single one of the Pro Tour teams wants to play his game, and the list just goes on and f$$king on!

Work towards an acceptable compromise Pat or get the hell out of the way but please, please stop blustering about as if you have any weight and/or anyone is still seriously listening too you....

[/rant]

... and now, back to your your regularly scheduled programming.....

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,336 Posts
philippec said:
[rant]

Oh my f$$king God -- will someone please tell Pat McQuaid to man up .... he has played his cards and lost. Today he's saying he'll kill off the biological passport (instead of seeking a new funding structure and partnership with the race organisers), yesterday he's threatening legal action because not a single one of the Pro Tour teams wants to play his game, and the list just goes on and f$$king on!

Work towards an acceptable compromise Pat or get the hell out of the way but please, please stop blustering about as if you have any weight and/or anyone is still seriously listening too you....

[/rant]

... and now, back to your your regularly scheduled programming.....
Well, Philippe,

1) I think McQuaid is a d*ck as much as anyone.
2) I thought the "ProTour" was an idiotic idea from the get go
3) The UCI wants to get rich off others work and ride their coattails, methinks.

But 9 of 17 ProTour teams in TdF (Well....16 now) had already signed up for next year. Legally speaking, they can be taken to court for breach of contract. Of course McQuaids actions sound kinda like a certain South Park character screaming
"RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!" :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I hate McQuaid as much as the next man, but the biopassport program does cost money to run. Isn't he just seeking confirmation that the teams will pay their share?

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does cost $$ and McQuaid should be negotiating with the race owners and teams to find an alternative funding mechanism -- but instead he is whinging on about how if no one likes his toy, he's going to break it ... so there!!

Please, Pat -- move on.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
While I do see points for both sides throughout this thing, just remember: In the labor (cyclists) vs management (aso) saga throughout history, labor just throwing up there hands and saying "hey maybe management / the corporate guys will just treat us well and always do whats best for us" never, ever works. If the cyclists think they dont need representation (uci) just see how life is at the mercy of the corporate guys! You gotta have checks and balances. If they hate the UCI, fine, change it. But dont think the ASO or any other corporation has your best interests at heart.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the UCI in its Verbruggen/McQuaid iteration has acted more like corporate raiders trying to muscle their way into the race organisers'pie and take it over for themselves -- to further your analogy. Without their attempted power and $$ grab, they might have remained credible but almost no one in cycling seriously thinks that they had the riders' best interersts at heart when they created the Pro Tour. So yes, time for another structure to represent the riders... could be UCI v.2 but McQuaid and Verbruggen are going to have to step away for that move to have any credibility.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bigmig19 said:
While I do see points for both sides throughout this thing, just remember: In the labor (cyclists) vs management (aso) saga throughout history, labor just throwing up there hands and saying "hey maybe management / the corporate guys will just treat us well and always do whats best for us" never, ever works. If the cyclists think they dont need representation (uci) just see how life is at the mercy of the corporate guys! You gotta have checks and balances. If they hate the UCI, fine, change it. But dont think the ASO or any other corporation has your best interests at heart.
I think your organizational situation is not correct.

ASO is not management, they are an event owner/organizer. They invite teams not riders.

Teams are the "management" who hire riders.

As should be, they have a union that should protect them.

The UCI does not represent riders any more than they represent teams or events. They are nothing more than a rule enforcing body, but instead of enforcing rules that teams, organizers, riders agreed upon they decided to make up their own rules. And it just so happens the rules allowed them take the economic power from the events (i.e. the people who actually do the work and invest the money).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thats cool, as long as labor doesnt just give in to everything they want just because they think they have no choice. Frankly, the head of both sides of this need to go, as eventually its just too much bad blood and ego.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The UCI strikes me as a parent that would rather drown the baby the allow for joint custody.

McQuaid now will kill the biological passport because he can't absolutely control the sport. I wonder if he had negotiated for a smaller number of PT teams (around 14 or so), so the GT organizers could have more wildcards, and worked out a deal on TV rights if this whole mess could have been avoided. He'll end up with nothing! You can't piss on the people that pay you without expecting backlash.

Ego. Greed. Bureaucracy. Long live the UCI.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
bikefool said:
and worked out a deal on TV rights if .
What right did the UCI have to a share of the TV rights of something that others have owned for years? For over 100 years in the case of the TdF.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yes, yes, long live the ASO and let them take over everything. The riders should hide their heads and take whatever they get. ASO isnt doing anyone a "favor" by oragnizing the tour for x years, if they didnt do it someone else would, who may or may not have the riders interest at heart. My question is, if the UCI is so horrible, how come the riders dont say so? I see relatively little rider vs. UCI animosity. Certainly no more than against the ASO. Ive seen an awful lot of good points on BOTH sides in what ive read, and in a tie, ill take the riders having some sort of say over the big brother, corporation, event oraganizer or whatever you call it.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
This just in: McQuaid hires Mike Ball as director of public relations for UCI. Below, I share a leaked draft of Ball's inaugural press release
We don't need those p*ssy-a** teams anyway. We're going to make a way cooler pro tour ourselves.

From now on, UCI stands for "Ultimate Cycling Impact" and we're going to make it a manly sport the Versus viewer can appreciate. New rules for stage races include:
  • Time bonuses for successful head butts at the line.
  • Replace time trials with full-contact miss-and-out in caged velodromes.
  • Replace KOM jerseys with the "Primus jersey for most outrageous tattoo"

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,336 Posts
Fredke said:
This just in: McQuaid hires Mike Ball as director of public relations for UCI. Below, I share a leaked draft of Ball's inaugural press release
We don't need those p*ssy-a** teams anyway. We're going to make a way cooler pro tour ourselves.

From now on, UCI stands for "Ultimate Cycling Impact" and we're going to make it a manly sport the Versus viewer can appreciate. New rules for stage races include:
  • Time bonuses for successful head butts at the line.
  • Replace time trials with full-contact miss-and-out in caged velodromes.
  • Replace KOM jerseys with the "Primus jersey for most outrageous tattoo"
How about Extreme-Night-Cycling Stages?

This would be where all riders go out on their bikes at 2AM, with a pair of night-vision-goggles, their bike, and armed with a Desert Eagle. This would serve to get rid of the number of riders down 10% per E.N.C.S.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
harlond said:
I hate McQuaid as much as the next man, but the biopassport program does cost money to run. Is
I wonder if they still have some of Lance's $500,000 "Donation"? That could fund the passport for 6 months at least

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.