Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Lord Taipan said:
I am so jonesing (craving) to be out there with other people in the dirt, grass, and pavement. Fall will come fast but not fast enough.
Anybody else?
Primarily because it was historically an off-season activity that developed into a competitive sport. And the mountain bikers got first dibs on the rest of the season now anyway.

I've done a cross race or two in hot conditions, it sucks.

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Primarily because it was historically an off-season activity that developed into a competitive sport. And the mountain bikers got first dibs on the rest of the season now anyway.

Yeah I know the history. Seems like there could be room for evolution of the sport though, like spring and summer endurance CX races. Something to let you keep riding the cycloross bike but prepare you for the traditional cross season.
There's a local Wednesday night XC series this coming month. I think I will give it a shot.

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
The CX season should be like CX races -- nasty, brutal and short.

Naw, why let roadies and mountain bikers own the rest of the year and have all sorts of different types of races? In reality there's is really only the one type of CX race that we all know and love. Yeah there is the Iron Cross and the Three Peaks, but thats olny two races on two different continents. Roadies have crits, road races, hill climbs, time trials, ect. Same for mountain bikers....24hr races, hill climbs, downhill, xc, 100 milers.
Why should crossers limit themselves strictly due to history? Cyclocross bikes are the most fun to ride to me It'd be nice if we as a community broadened the use of the in sport.

· TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Lord Taipan said:
I am so jonesing (craving) to be out there with other people in the dirt, grass, and pavement. Fall will come fast but not fast enough.
Anybody else?
It is a year-round sport. You just don't get to race year-round.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Here in CO where LT and I are from we race the first third of CX season in some hot weather. Sept is pretty toasty still. the dust and heat is tough on the lungs. Similar pain... hit the wednesday boulder short track series. Jon Baker was hitting it on his CX bike in the A groop and putting it to T-Brown and JHK

most the reason CX doesn't start till later... the hosting clubs are busy racing on the road.
At least around here most the CX hosts are roadies...
once i pawn off my teams race onto another directior perhaps i'll try to have us host a CX race as well...
no rest for the wicked

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Lord Taipan said:
Roadies have crits, road races, hill climbs, time trials, ect. Same for mountain bikers....24hr races, hill climbs, downhill, xc, 100 milers.
Why should crossers limit themselves strictly due to history?
With all of these kinds of races out there, seems like the person limiting himself is you.

Mountain bike races are fun. The pain is doled out in a slightly different manner than cross. I'm racing singlespeed on a rigid 29er; no need to spend thousands on a highzoot fullboinger.

There's a lot of crazy multisport/adventure events out there. They do require running fitness; running is a great way to lose or maintain body weight.

Cat 5 road racing is very approachable and friendly. A little hazardous to your collarbones, but hey.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Gripped said:
I'm so fat and out of shape I'm worried that it's going to get here all too soon.
+1

WHY can't I get in the mileage that I need?!

Speaking of which, I'm headed out here in a bit. Days off during the week rawks!

M

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pretender said:
With all of these kinds of races out there, seems like the person limiting himself is you.

Mountain bike races are fun. The pain is doled out in a slightly different manner than cross. I'm racing singlespeed on a rigid 29er; no need to spend thousands on a highzoot fullboinger.

There's a lot of crazy multisport/adventure events out there. They do require running fitness; running is a great way to lose or maintain body weight.

Cat 5 road racing is very approachable and friendly. A little hazardous to your collarbones, but hey.
Already on it...one adventure race down this season and one to go. I may do the next adventure race on one of my cx bikes.

I had planned on doing the local 24hr race but that has turned into doing a century with my friends that weekend.

· Registered
391 Posts
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
And especially a time to race cyclocross.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I am a mountain biker and a CX racer (and a skiier, snowshoer, etc.) so I have something to do all year, thanks very much. Roadies and mountain bikers don't own the rest of the year anyway. Their seasons are mostly limited to spring and summer.

CX season lasts just long enough to leave me wanting more. I'd rather be amped in September - December when the weather is perfect for cross than burn myself out sucking dust racing a bunch of contrived fire-road events all spring and summer.

· eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
i just wish it would shift out of september and into january...

the fewer 80°F + and dusty cross races the better...

miss it? yeah, but i've gotten to the point where the odd MTB XC race is filling the jonezin for racing and I'm relishing just being slow and chill on the bike...

it only took me from Jan to almost June to get over missing cyclocross...

or maybe it happened to co-incide with getting a new cyclocross bike...

Hmmmmm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.