Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I slept in this morning and skipped the team ride. I put the Garmin on the Pegoretti and took off for Kole Kole pass. It is 20 miles and 1900 feet of climbing to reach it from my house in Ewa Beach. In the past, the steepest climb was on the worst stretch of road. Recently, another road has opened that allows you to bypass that section and do the steep part in a residential area.

Once you are out on Kunia Road heading towards Schofield Barracks, you pass through the Del Monte pineapple fields. Late last year, Del Monte decided to get out of the pineapple business on Oahu and plowed under the crop on the Waianae side of Kunia. That is the brown field. The green field is currently still producing pineapples.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
more

Getting to Schofield Barracks. While riding up Kunia road, I realized that I had not filled one of my water bottles so I made a quick stop at a park on base to fill up. The park is named for an Army NCO who saved his men's lives by falling on a grenade. His family received his Medal of Honor.

The climb up KoleKole averages around 7% with the steepest sectioin at the top. The military won't let you continue over to the Waianae Coast, but I really don't like riding over there anyway.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rest

Here is the bike at the Schofield Post Cemetary. There is a very dramatic view across the cemetary looking Honolulu bound, but there was a funeral going on in that direction and didn't want to be disrespectful of the family.

Continuing down towards Ewa, I stopped at the Del Monte company town at Kunia. This was a major source of employment of almost a century. In the background you can see the bungalow type houses that were occupied by the field workers.

Hawaii is different from the mainland in many ways, but one difference is part of the culture. Hawaii's unemployment hovers around 2%. Everyone has a job and no job is "beneath" anyone. Whether it is investment banking or picking pineapples, everyone works. Having a job is more important that the job itself.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
No more pineapples is going to be strange. Any idea what they are going to do with the land?
Most Oahu pineapples don't leave the islands anyway. Dole is still operating their plantation towards Haleiwa but it is more tourist trap than anything else. The Del Monte land is to be developed but one of issues is that the land has been subject to more than half a century of insecticides and other chemicals to help the crop grow. I wouldn't want to live there. If it is like everything else here, they will start building the new developments and then build infrastructure. I just bought a house in Poulsbo, Washington so I am checking out of here in late April anyway.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JP said:
Hey Bill,
I'm sure the guy you took that bike from would like it back. I mean it can't be yours; yours has fenders and a rack.

Did you buy the house?
That is the cool bike. We are in escro on the house. Our tentative closing date is Feb 27th. I plan on flying out for the closing. I should at least see the house I am buying. It is about a mile and a half from the Hood Canal Bridge with mountain and water views. I intend to live there for the rest of my life. Let's see what the Navy has to say about that.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
What happened to Italy?

Still going. I am going to be stationed on a ship there starting in May. In October of this year the ship leaves Italy and goes to Bremerton, WA for a three year overhaul. The family will move to Washington this summer after the school year. I expect to join them around Thanksgiving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.