Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I try to be respectful of those whose politics, culture, religion, etc. differs from my own, but sometimes I just have to conclude that I HATE BIBLE THUMPERS!!!! Jeez, must have been a long flight for those who didn't raise their hand.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/7900122.htm

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based airline said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on Friday afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers use the flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith, Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the flight to talk about his first announcement.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
This is a joke, right?

This kinda reminds me about a joke I once heard. It seems that a flight was overbooked, (one version said that it was a flight from Palm Springs, but that's not important) and a certain Mr. Gay (really, this part is true) was to be bumped. The flight attendant was sent to tell Mr. Gay that he would need to leave the plane. The attendant went to the seat and asked:
"Are you Gay?"
The man said "Yes."
Attendant: "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave the plane."
Upon hearing this, another man stood up and said:
"Hey, I'm gay too! You can't let these ****ers throw us off!!!"

(Maybe it's true-who knows?)

·
Seeking shades of grey
1,804 Posts
Yeah, that bugged me too. If I could have it my way I would get all the Jehova's Witnesses and the Amway sales people into one conference together so that they can bug each other and leave the rest of us alone. ;)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
gf99 said:
Hey, I try to be respectful of those whose politics, culture, religion, etc. differs from my own, but sometimes I just have to conclude that I HATE BIBLE THUMPERS!!!! Jeez, must have been a long flight for those who didn't raise their hand.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/7900122.htm

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based airline said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on Friday afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers use the flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith, Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the flight to talk about his first announcement.
...and then he flew the plane into the side of the rocky mountains while saying the lor's prayer over the PA...wow! what a nutjob. i bet those passengers were a bit on edge that flight.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
This is truly bizarre, but I am really curious to know if anyone actually raised their hand. It's just not normal to get on a plane and have to identify yourself as Christian or not based on a PA system announcement. I wouldn't raise my hand either way. It's nobody's business but mine.

I cannot understand the thought process of people who do stuff like this. Do they really think they are being helpful? It's delusional at best.

What I really wonder is if the co-pilot raised his hand. If he didn't, I'm sure he got a few hours worth of hard sell Christian conversion during the flight. If he did raise his hand, I'm sure he had to listen to bible talk for six or seven hours....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
mohair_chair said:
This is truly bizarre, but I really curious to know if anyone actually raised their hand. It's just not normal to get on a plane and have to identify yourself as Christian or not based on a PA system announcement. I wouldn't raise my hand either way. It's nobody's business but mine.

I cannot understand the thought process of people who do stuff like this. Do they really think they are being helpful? It's delusional at best.

What I really wonder is if the co-pilot raised his hand. If he didn't, I'm sure he got a few hours worth of Christian conversion during the flight. If he did, I'm sure he had to listen to bible talk the whole time.
yeah...whatever happened to good old fashioned sexual harrassment on the job?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More details from CNN...

Passenger Jen Dorsey told CNN's "American Morning," "We were just at the beginning of our flight. The pilot came on to greet everyone and give his comments for the morning, and he said he'd recently been on a mission trip, and he'd like all the Christians to please raise their hands."

Fellow passenger Karla Austin said, "He said, 'If you are a Christian, raise your hand.' He said, 'If you are not, you're crazy.' "

Dorsey nodded her head in agreement that the pilot had used the word "crazy."

No passengers raised their hands, Austin said.

The pilot asked passengers to look around at each other and use their 4 1/2-hour flight wisely or "just sit back and watch the movie," Dorsey recalled.

Austin said passengers were shocked. Some reached for their mobile phones and others used the on-flight phones, she said.

"Just given the history of what's happened on planes in this country, anything can happen at this point, " Austin said. "So we weren't sure if something was going to happen at takeoff, if he was going to wait until JFK [John F. Kennedy Airport] to do something. But there was definitely implication there that we felt that something was going to happen."

Passengers complained to the flight attendants, who relayed their concerns to the cockpit, and then reassured them they had no nothing to worry about on the flight, Austin said.

Attendants also told passengers they had contacted airline officials about the matter and that the purser was talking to the pilot, she said.

About 45 minutes into the flight, the pilot came back on and apologized -- but his apology focused on the crew, not the passengers, Dorsey said.

"He came on and said, 'I want to apologize for my comments earlier. I think I really threw the flight crew off a little bit, and they are getting a lot of flack for the things I said. So I want to apologize to my flight crew,' " she said.

On her way off the plane, Austin said she told the pilot "he should be ashamed of himself."

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Was it Egypt Air in the Atlantic where the pilot dive-bombed the passenger jet into the ocean yelling 'Allah Ackbar!'??

I would be just as afraid of some Christian fundamentalist in the cockpit. Listen buddy, do not deliver me from evil, I like it here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’m hoping to start a RBR Bible study group. We will turn to random pages in the Bible and figure their meaning. Just throw out the first number the lord puts in your mind and I’ll tell you what the lord is trying to communicate through the word on that page. Pick a number, any number.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Pretty much says if you don’t believe you won’t see evidence of god’s existence. So belief first.

He's making a list,
He's checking it twice,
He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice
Jesus is coming to town
He sees you when you're sleeping
And he knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake
Or burn in eternal damnation.

666 is more of 665

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Moderators Note:

Please feel free to post this to PO if you wish to continue this discussions. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.