Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I test rode a 2006 Pinarello (for review see bikes, frames etc). My LBS loaned me the beauty for the day. I don't ride with cleats for various reasons (knees and safety). So anyway, I had the shop take off the cleats and put on old school pedals. Now, I had just finished riding 5 miles at maybe 28 mph and I was feeling it. Came around the corner to see the hill and screwed up the shifting (my ride is an old-school 10 speed), shifting to higher and higher gears in the rear and then saying (well recognizing that I needed it easier yet) so I down shift the front and of course when I press the pedal, there is no resistance at all. So I am cursing the system as this rider goes by and he yells, "With a bike like that wear your shoes!, jeez". I did have to laugh, but was it necessary to say? Stamp

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
What do you want people on this board to say? I could take issue with your claim that you ride without "cleats" (I assume that you mean without a clipless set up and hence with toestraps or platform pedals) for "safety and knees." I could tell you how both safety and knees are better cared for wearing proper shoes and pedals. We could discuss the shifter error (those happen) and how a clipless setup could have helped. We could discuss the passing cyclist's remark, which I don't exactly understand, and the mere fact that he may have been a jerk.

But what is it you are looking for? In terms of etiquette, ignoring an uninvited crack is certainly a reasonable response.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
No, it wasn't necessary, but what do you expect from an a**hole? I try to ignore stuff like that. Nobody can "make" me angry, sad, upset, etc. My reactions, emotions and mood are my choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look guys, I just thought it a humorous story that you might enjoy, the question is retorical and not meant to be serious at all. I didn't take offense to the rider's comment at all. And yes, if you think about it, seeing someone riding a high-end bike with tennis shoes probably was quite the site. The only thing that made me angry was that I didn't catch him.

But since you bring it up, my knee can not take any lateral movement at all without making me a cripple for days. So I don't use the clip-in peddles because, as far as I know, to get out of all of them you have to torque them side ways (placing the lateral force on the knee). Isn't that the case? Stamp

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
jtolleson said:
What do you want people on this board to say? I could take issue with your claim that you ride without "cleats" (I assume that you mean without a clipless set up and hence with toestraps or platform pedals) for "safety and knees." I could tell you how both safety and knees are better cared for wearing proper shoes and pedals. We could discuss the shifter error (those happen) and how a clipless setup could have helped. We could discuss the passing cyclist's remark, which I don't exactly understand, and the mere fact that he may have been a jerk.

But what is it you are looking for? In terms of etiquette, ignoring an uninvited crack is certainly a reasonable response.
I was thinking that if he can hold 28mph for 5 miles in tennis shoes on flat pedals.... I wonder how fast he could go clipless.... 40mph or so wouldn't seem out of the question.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
stamp adams said:
Now, I had just finished riding 5 miles at maybe 28 mph and I was feeling it.
Holy carp that's fast! I can do 28 mph for 5 miles, like, maybe in a time trial with aerobars and fall over afterwards. You can do that with reg'lar sneakers and platforms?

I'm not sure how clipless pedals are unsafe, either. They're obviously SAFER than well-tightened clips and straps, but compared to platforms it's just. I dunno. How do you deal with getting out of the saddle and climbing?

·
Registered
345 Posts
most clipless systems dont require a lateral force but a rotational force, this could be done from the ankle. Most people move their whole leg to the side dragging their heel out to disengage, but you could just as easily rotate from the ankle, or stand up and do it from the hip.

Even if you dont use a clipless system it might be worth investing in some cycling shoes, the recreational ones that have a little screw down flap over where the cleat would be, that way you could have the advantages of a less flexiable shoe.

·
Martini time?
208 Posts
If I owned a bike shop that would loan out Pinarellos for multi-hour test rides, I would put on a computer and totally rig the wheel circumference settings so that the display read far higher than actual speed. Think of all the extra sales you could make from guys that think their average speed went up 10 mph just by riding a better bike.

·
The Right Wing
871 Posts
To answer your ettiquette question, it is perfectly acceptable to exaggerate your riding speeds on the internet. Now if you will excuse me, I have a 3 mile TT to complete. I hope to average 30 mph.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Damn......I can't find my pic of "what's his name".... Mr 3 mile TT

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
28mph average...hmmm....

Argentius said:
Holy carp that's fast! I can do 28 mph for 5 miles, like, maybe in a time trial with aerobars and fall over afterwards. You can do that with reg'lar sneakers and platforms?

I'm not sure how clipless pedals are unsafe, either. They're obviously SAFER than well-tightened clips and straps, but compared to platforms it's just. I dunno. How do you deal with getting out of the saddle and climbing?

I once averaged 35 mph for 36 miles........I was coming back down after climbing Haleakala' on Maui.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
mohair_chair said:
...and that was the day stamp adams won the prologue of the Tour de France.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
twrecks said:
If I owned a bike shop that would loan out Pinarellos for multi-hour test rides, I would put on a computer and totally rig the wheel circumference settings so that the display read far higher than actual speed. Think of all the extra sales you could make from guys that think their average speed went up 10 mph just by riding a better bike.
That's one of the funnier things I've read all day! Genius!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.