Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the Prozac nation and all, but I was surprised to learn that an old friend is on meds--and has been for a while. He joins another good friend who has been on them for years.

Is anyone else surprised by this?

Anyone had the experience directly and chose to continue or go off meds?

Just curious is all.

[While one might say MYOB, what I experience from the outside is like a slightly different version of that person and I miss the unmediated personality...]

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I dunno- personally, I wouldn't do it. I'm reasonably sure I'm bipolar, but I've developed my own coping mechanisms for the bad days. Even though it'd probably make the bad days easier, I don't feel like medication (and the side effects) is necessary.

Everyone is different, though. I think medication is pretty personal depending on the severity of the problem and the personal ability to cope with it.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
There was something in the Washington Post a while back that said 15% of the public was on some kind of antidepressant and the industry thinks they can get it to 30% by 2010. Considering the economy and the general mood of the nation they may have hit their target.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
depression "runs in the family" for me. maternal grandmother, my mother, my sister. and im pretty snappy, too. anyway, not sure grandma was on anything.

when my mom was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis the doctor prescribed her something due to family history and the treatment she was going through. at dinner one night my mom said, "he put me on these pills for depression, but im not sure i want to take them. he told me there were some side effects, but the media was making more out of it than they should and i shouldnt worry about it. he wouldnt tell me what the news was saying."
"what did he prescribe?"
"something called prozac."
we all looked at each other nervously. ah, the good old days of "prozac makes you homocidal.

i know my sister is on and off them. not sure if the swing is worse because her body gets used to being on them, like withdrawl.but when she is off them its not pretty. once got a call from her while she was parked on an overpass. dont wanna have that conversation again.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
paredown said:
[While one might say MYOB, what I experience from the outside is like a slightly different version of that person and I miss the unmediated personality...]
Would you rather have the personality back where it was and your old friend being secretly miserable? Because that is what depression is like, most people hide it as much as they can and suffer alone in silence. Often for years.

Meds should be the last option, imo, but they work for many.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
firstrax said:
There was something in the Washington Post a while back that said 15% of the public was on some kind of antidepressant and the industry thinks they can get it to 30% by 2010.

I wonder if that includes people on them for things other than depression (like PMS/PMDD), or just those prescribed them for depression? I know a lot of people will take them but use other diagnoses to get the script, so they don't have a "mental health diagnosis" on their medical records.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
/ I'm on something that keeps me sane- my bike(s).

But if your brain chemistry is off and drugs can help that, then why not?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
weltyed said:
we all looked at each other nervously. ah, the good old days of "prozac makes you homocidal.
There can be some serious issues with certain meds when bipolar disorder is misdiagnosed as depression.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I understand depression--not clinical, but endemic--I blame it on the black Irish part of my heritage (not that the Norwegians weren't prone to depression and excessive drinking!)

Like Andrea and Weltyed, I feel like I have figured out some things that generally work--get on the bike (Coolhand), eat chocolate (MB1), although I don't as a rule drink--put this down to my alcoholic Norwegian grandfather and the damage that I witnessed in lives of his children (including my mom)...

dr hoo said:
Would you rather have the personality back where it was and your old friend being secretly miserable? Because that is what depression is like, most people hide it as much as they can and suffer alone in silence. Often for years.

Meds should be the last option, imo, but they work for many.
Fair comment, since you really wouldn't wish other people to be unhappy...

What I experience is a kind of single-mindedness on their part--less modulation, less social adeptness--almost as if they do not "read" social situations as well and I guess I wish you could experience them as they used to be.

OTOH, modern life has certainly created unbelievable pressures on people, so I'm not surprised that medication may well be the answer for some people

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
paredown said:
I know this is the Prozac nation and all, but I was surprised to learn that an old friend is on meds--and has been for a while. He joins another good friend who has been on them for years.

Is anyone else surprised by this?

Anyone had the experience directly and chose to continue or go off meds?

Just curious is all.

Yes, in the past I was on several medications and regret ever taking that path. YMMV is one acronym that applies hugely here.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
paredown said:
What I experience is a kind of single-mindedness on their part--less modulation, less social adeptness--almost as if they do not "read" social situations as well and I guess I wish you could experience them as they used to be.
Talk to your friend about it. The best thing you can do for a friend is to understand where they are coming from and show you have concern for them, but you are not looking down on them. For a lot of people even mentioning they are on meds for depression is a big sign of trust for the ones they tell. Ask questions, let them know you noticed it, but you want whatever is best for them.

Also, you might want to think about whether you notice this change before learning he was on meds, or only after.

It could be the meds, and maybe cutting the dose is an option. Maybe not, but even slight changes in dosage can produce big changes in side effects. It could also be getting older, people do tend to get a bit slower and more deliberate as they age. Another option is that they used to avoid people when they were "down" and only see people when they were feeling good. So you might have seen only the best of days, and now you are seeing a more level person, the average of what use to be an up and down cycle.

(I am not a health care provider, not giving professional advice here, not even close. Seems like a good time to mention that.)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have a close friend who's a Prozac-er and needs it. Been that way since they discovered the med. She 'hates' taking the med. and occaisionally tries to stop. When she does, she gets mean and unhappy..Very noticable..Walks about with a frown, snaps at people and pets, gets generally unpleasant to be around.

If it takes medication to make nice...take the 'effing' stuff..Grumpy sucks. What's the point of living your life totally bummed-out at everything, when you don't have to be that way? I know, you *should* be able to work through that without drugs...Yeah, great...but not everyone is able to do that and if one tries for years without success...they just live a whole unhappy life and it rubs off on their friends, too..

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,297 Posts
There are a fair number of ADs out there now. I've been on two. (well, three actually, but the one did not work well for me. I'd walk around going "whoopdeeedoooo"...or maybe that did work. Hm.) Point is, there are several options for meds and it takes time for each one to kick in. But you usually find something that helps.

I'm much more muted on meds. I don't feel the highs or lows as much. (I'm not bipolar) It just dulls the feelings enough to deal with things for a while. I am much more seasonally effected, so meds only in the winter is my goal.

I've told my family and friends. But then, I'm comfortable saying I have depression and am on meds. Not everyone is. Most are pretty paranoid about it getting out. So the fact that they've told you is a huge trust.

Help them in any way they ask. Keep them included in events. Just an invitation, even denied, helps keep them from isolating.

(And yea, we miss our unmedicated selves also. But if it's bad enough for meds, then there is something there that can't be ignored.)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
you *should* be able to work through that without drugs...

Just think of it as any other health condition, like diabetes or a heart problem- you wouldn't avoid taking what you needed to stay healthy. Small price to pay.

I tried Zoloft a few years ago, while under a lot of job stress, and it was nice- puts you on an even keel; the lows aren't so low, but the highs aren't so high, either. Kinda flattens your mood overall. But I didn't want to stay on it.

Now, I can recall what it was like, and can "flatten" my mood on my own.....also a function of age, when you've been through more and things are less surprising.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
My ex had a pretty bad bout with depression starting probably 18 months ago. She got herself into a pretty heavy duty counseling program at the hospital (I think it was at the urging of her parents). For a while she was a walking pharmacy, something like 9 prescriptions if I remember correctly, some of the meds were to counteract the side effects of some of the others. We haven't talked about it much lately but I'm pretty sure she's still on some of the meds and will be basically forever. She was a total wreck, gained lots of weight, sent one kid to live with grandma and grandpa, the other (mine) came to live with me. She didn't see the kids over Christmas and didn't see our kid for almost 6 months. Whatever she's on combined with counseling really made a difference, she's pretty much back to her old self but much more aware of her feelings.

It was pretty amazing though to watch how fast and how drastic those pills had an affect though. I helped her move her stuff from a boyfriends house not long after she started the counseling and was on a cocktail of meds. Within a minute or two you could notice a change. Whatever she was taking caused the filter from her brain to her mouth to stop working. Every passing thought came right out her mouth.

I personally would never take pills unless there was a clear outline from the beginning to get me off it and it would have to be a pretty extreme case. I also wouldn't give mid kids ritalin or anything for ADD or ADHD which I feel are a problem that needed to be created because a solution was already in place in the form of pills.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
btdt, exercise works better.

i'm surprised i made it out of that phase of my life.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
My doc prescribed me a low dose of anti depressants to help me sleep. I don't like to take any med on a regular basis, but I did take those for a while. They had strange side effects, most weren't too bad. But when I decided to quit taking them, or I just took them off and on, I felt majorly down and in the dumps, and I am not normally ever a person who is depressed. I think it wacked out my body's chemistry and I really crashed the day after I didn't take them. I have never felt so bummed out. I stopped taking them all together and decided that I'd rather be tired but happy than depressed and well rested.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts