Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What is the Max Spacers you like on your bike (aestetically, below the stem)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Threadless stems and low stack height Headsets, I always have to decide how many spacers I want when sizing a frame. (Never had to do this with threaded). The look of the front end of the bike ends up way too important in the sizing process. How big is the Head tube, How do I balance stem length, angle, HT length, spacers and Handlebar reach to get the bars where I need them and still have a bike that looks balanced to me.

So I thought I'd poll the board on their proeferences.

What is the max spacers that you will tolerate on your bike (Purely aestetics)?

Len

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I have a range of tolerance.

When doing a custom bike, I try to shoot for 0 to .5cm. I do have one bike with 2.5cm but most fall between .5 and 1.5. Some of that depends on the headset.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm doing custom....

Len J said:
With Threadless stems and low stack height Headsets, I always have to decide how many spacers I want when sizing a frame. (Never had to do this with threaded). The look of the front end of the bike ends up way too important in the sizing process. How big is the Head tube, How do I balance stem length, angle, HT length, spacers and Handlebar reach to get the bars where I need them and still have a bike that looks balanced to me.

Len
I don't like more than .5.

For a stock bike I'll tolerate up to 1.5, but would rather have 1 or less.

Len

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Len J said:
I don't like more than .5.

For a stock bike I'll tolerate up to 1.5, but would rather have 1 or less.

Len
You just wait until I get home and post the picture I took in Old Town of the Klein with about 6" of spacers. You just wait. About 8 hours from now.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I got the same thing Bill. I have a bike with so many spacers it looks like an abacus.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't that the bike.....

bigbill said:
You just wait until I get home and post the picture I took in Old Town of the Klein with about 6" of spacers. You just wait. About 8 hours from now.
in the back of the truck along with the wheelchair lift?

Len

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
2 cm fairly well mimics a well set up quill stem'd bike, so I don't have a problem up to about there. Smaller is usually better, though it often results in bar drops that border on the ridiculous (both in function and appearance.)

Side question: Given the stockman's choice of 3cm of spacers and a flat stem, or no spacers and a flipped stem, which do you choose?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danl1 said:
2 cm fairly well mimics a well set up quill stem'd bike, so I don't have a problem up to about there. Smaller is usually better, though it often results in bar drops that border on the ridiculous (both in function and appearance.)

Side question: Given the stockman's choice of 3cm of spacers and a flat stem, or no spacers and a flipped stem, which do you choose?
I use a combination of things to get the bars where I want them.

1.) A 2 degree sloped TT
2.) a 1.5 CM HT extension
3.) 1.0 CM of spacers
4.) 84 degree stem.

It comesout looking very balanced....IMO

Len

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hah, you guys are going to hate me. I have anywhere from 0cm to about 1cm of spacers under my stem depending on the bike. However, I have maybe about 4cm (sometimes more!) of spacers above the stem. Why? In case I want to sell the thing.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
pavedroad said:
Hah, you guys are going to hate me. I have anywhere from 0cm to about 1cm of spacers under my stem depending on the bike. However, I have maybe about 4cm (sometimes more!) of spacers above the stem. Why? In case I want to sell the thing.
Nothing wrong with that, some people do that to get a more upright position in the winter. I rode with spacers above and below for many months before I cut the steerer to make sure that I had my position right.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pavedroad said:
I can see some small amount above the stem for movement, but 4 cm ???..........unless you are going to sell the bike quickly, that would be to high a price in ugliness for me to pay while i rode it in order to make a little more money when I sold it.

To each there own.

Isn't this dangerous?

Len

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like .5 to 1 cm. I think headtube extensions can sometimes look cheesey too. Then again, all that really matters is that the bike fits.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Len J said:

Len
For "purely aestetics" - none. There's no place to put them on a quill stem. - TF

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You really.......

TurboTurtle said:
For "purely aestetics" - none. There's no place to put them on a quill stem. - TF
enjojed that...didn't you? ROFL

Len

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Len J said:
enjojed that...didn't you? ROFL

Len
Yes. Is there any comparison? - TF

(Or did you mean the spelling?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts