Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brick Brickwork Rim Fender Alloy wheel
One of these was going to other way on the MUT (W&OD) this afternoon.

Organic Transit | Exercise Your Power! ELF Solar Pedal Power

The MUT rules prohibit motorized vehicles. I know there is no way that electric bicycles can be kept off. But, this thing is pushing it too far. It is a bit smaller in width than a golf cart. The roof is a solar panel. It was going about 20 mph.

From the website "It can travel up to 20 mph on electric power only and up to 30 mph when combined with pedaling" and "capable of up to a 550 lb. payload".

So, nearly the width of a golf cart going 20+ mph (with up to 550 lbs of cargo) ripping down the MUT - sound safe?

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
I don't know.

Vehicles <1 meter wide can lane split/share in my state. But that thing belongs out on the roads or MUTs about as much as an electric golf cart. (Consequently, those don't bother me much either.)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Stop off at your local P.D. with that picture and ask them.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I know around here it's human power only on the MUTs unless you are disabled.

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
Around here it is also supposed to be human powered only, but I have seen an electric cart along the lines of that (not that exact brand, I don't think) on the MUT on my commute to work. But what I hate the most is when the young kids go blasting down thw MUT with their gas-powered Whizzer equipped bikes. Not only are they buzzing along too fast with a motorized bike, but they are inflicting both air and noise pollution on those of us who are trying to get some recreation in the only place we should be safe from that crap.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
depends.
is it one of those CA MUTs?
I've lived in Southern California for 31 years and I have been cycling in S Cal for 25 years. Until I read the term MUT on RBR, I had never heard the term. No one that I know in S Cal, cyclist or not, has ever used the term MUT.

Frankly, I'm still not sure what MUT specifically refers to in my area.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I've seen something similar to this on the MUT

Social group Watercraft Boat

It's all human powered, and the rider was hauling ass at about 30 mph easily. And when he gets on the street, he's doing over 35 mph easily. I know because he once passed our peloton, when we were pushing 32-33 mph, he simply walked away from our peloton. And yes we were trying to catch him but kept seeing him pull away. I was amazed how fast that human powered thing is, it was a very demonstrative lesson in the benefits of aero.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess the question is, are electric-assist bicycles allowed? If not, then the electric-assist velo shouldn't either. The ELF is a pretty low-performance model, mostly used by semi-disabled as a car replacement. Here's a video of a faster one, albeit not at full speed for him. He eventually found enough room to pass the 25 mph group and finished the century 25 minutes ahead of them. (That's me on the highracer in the yellow jersey.)

(Note: the white velo does not have auxilliary power, and has recorded 3:36 solo centuries.)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The WO&D trail in in Virginia.

Vdot defines them: Here is the quote and catagories. Based on the below, it appears that the "device" is legal on the WO&D

Generally the laws for the operation of mopeds, electric power-assisted bicycles, and electric assistive mobility devices are similar to the operation of bicycles.

"Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that has (i) a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground and (ii) gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters. Moped operators must be at least 16 years old and must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth. A moped is considered a vehicle while operated on a highway. Mopeds can not be ridden on sidewalks or bike paths. Some localities in Northern Virginia may impose restrictions on the operation of mopeds. Localities can require additional safety equipment for moped operation.

"Electric power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power and (ii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 1,000 watts that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider. Operators must be at least 14 years old or be under the supervision of someone at least 18 years old. An electric power-assisted bicycle shall be considered a vehicle when operated on a highway.

"Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. The term "motorcycle" does not include any "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or scooter," "utility vehicle" or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

"Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle that has a gasoline engine that (i) displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters; (ii) has a seat less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; and (iii) has no manufacturer-issued vehicle identification number.

“Motorized skateboard or scooter" means every vehicle, regardless of the number of its wheels in contact with the ground, that (i) has no seat, but is designed to be stood upon by the operator, (ii) has no manufacturer-issued vehicle identification number, and (iii) is powered by an electric motor having an input of no more than 1,000 watts or a gasoline engine that displaces less than 36 cubic centimeters. The term "motorized skateboard or scooter" includes vehicles with or without handlebars, but does not include "electric personal assistive mobility devices."

An electric personal assistive mobility device is a self-balancing two-nontandem-wheeled device that is designed to transport only one person and is powered by an electric propulsion system that limits the device's maximum speed to fifteen miles per hour or less. Such devices must be equipped with a system that will enable the user to bring the device to a controlled stop. These devices may be operated on highways with a maximum speed limit of 25 miles per hour or less if no sidewalk is provided or if use of the sidewalk is prohibited. Operators must be at least 14 years old or under the supervision of a person who is at least 18 years old. An electric personal assistive mobility device is considered a vehicle when operated on a highway.

Reference: §§46.2-100, 46.2-903, 46.2-908.1, 46.2-914, 46.2-915.2, 46.2-1051 ^TOPICS

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I've seen something similar to this on the MUT

View attachment 312892

It's all human powered, and the rider was hauling ass at about 30 mph easily. And when he gets on the street, he's doing over 35 mph easily. I know because he once passed our peloton, when we were pushing 32-33 mph, he simply walked away from our peloton. And yes we were trying to catch him but kept seeing him pull away. I was amazed how fast that human powered thing is, it was a very demonstrative lesson in the benefits of aero.
Man o man, imagine getting T-boned by one of them suckers on a 180 degree turn! Oof!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
View attachment 312886
One of these was going to other way on the MUT (W&OD) this afternoon.

Organic Transit | Exercise Your Power! ELF Solar Pedal Power

The MUT rules prohibit motorized vehicles. I know there is no way that electric bicycles can be kept off. But, this thing is pushing it too far. It is a bit smaller in width than a golf cart. The roof is a solar panel. It was going about 20 mph.

From the website "It can travel up to 20 mph on electric power only and up to 30 mph when combined with pedaling" and "capable of up to a 550 lb. payload".

So, nearly the width of a golf cart going 20+ mph (with up to 550 lbs of cargo) ripping down the MUT - sound safe?
Fortunately MUTs aren't a thing in my area. I think its kinda cool. For half the price of a Venge you get a roof, motor and solar panel thrown in

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmmm $5,600 or so for a standard 1 person Elf... With all the options of mirrors, extra batter, doors, and more you could quickly add another $1000 or more.

I gotta admit it would be fun to try once at least. Anything to help get another car off the road.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I've seen human powered contraptions like that on the W&OD. I occasionally see electric "assist" bicycles om the path. Never seen an all out vehicle, although this isn't a car since it has three wheels. I don't like any of it. The powered bicycles might as well be scooters since the people riding them barely pedal and zoom around at 20 mph. Anything wider than the lane has no business on the trail.

I'm still celebrating the end of roller blades.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've seen human powered contraptions like that on the W&OD. I occasionally see electric "assist" bicycles om the path. Never seen an all out vehicle, although this isn't a car since it has three wheels. I don't like any of it. The powered bicycles might as well be scooters since the people riding them barely pedal and zoom around at 20 mph. Anything wider than the lane has no business on the trail.

That hasn't happened in Iowa yet...

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts

Ditto. Superditto!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

I was going to pick up a pair and use them on the MUT for cross training. I will be the king of the 1990s bada$$ retro movement. You can call me "Bad Movement." That will be my street name. You can use BM for short

1 - 20 of 40 Posts