Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
That's fast. I live where it's flat, but I've hit 50+ on some steep river valley roads.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speedyg55 said:
So you decided to brag about hitting 52 mph, but completely neglected to mention your "ride" with a 49.9 mph average speed and 122 mph max speed:confused:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35276747
I never exceeded 55 mph, that ride was fraught with power line interference :D. If those values were true that would be illegal.

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2007 ZX6R. My speedometer on it is waaaay off, like so many motorcycles.
That was a little ride with the gf, her little 250 Ninja barely cracks 100 mph. I let her ride mine and now she wants a bigger bike, big mistake, huge!

·
Is not a clown car
2,299 Posts
I was pretty obsessed with going as fast as I could for a while. Managed to hit 62 on one of the hills round here even! Shortly after that though, one of the riding partners here hit the deck at 40ish and got hurt pretty bad. All of us locally have since chilled out of the top speed endeavors now. Fastest I've gone this year so far is 52. I used to sprint into the hills in an effort to boost it up. Now I just ride, or coast into them, and let my prodigious gravitational advantage take me down.

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jparman said:
what kind of motorcycle?

...give's me an excuse to post this.

edit: w/ image this time.
Nice, a friend did that with his ZRX. Imagine the possibilities, although I think a trailer would be more useful.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I first started riding I was damn heavy and that helped on the drops. My top speed was 64.8 mph. To this day I'm pissed I didn't get that last .2. It would have put me at the speed limit for our freeway! In hindsight that was dangerous but wow was it fun.

·
What the what???
12,986 Posts
I've only been above 50 once and all I could think of on the way down the hill was "no turtle, no turtle, no turtle..."

There is a hill close by where I can regularly get to 42 or so on the way down and that's plenty fast enough for me.

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dunno, ya know. I don't ever really worry about crashing at speed. Perhaps it's motorcycle experience with high speed cornering/trackdays, or mountain bike racing etc.
I always check my equipment out before most every ride because it just makes me feel better and eases my mind. If I take off on a ride having not run my hands along the tread of my tires and checked the air pressure I feel uneasy.
I don't feel that going 35 or 50 is going to make that much difference if I go down, unless I hit something that stops me. It's more road rash for sure, but as long as I have clear sight lines I'm going for it. I feel that if you worry about it it surely won't help your riding. Like mountain biking, when you have trees whizzing by you 3 feet away at 30 mph, if you fixate on them (target fixation) you'll have a better chance of riding right into one.
Bicycle riding and motorcycling have more in common than you can imagine. One of the biggest killers (next to alcohol) on a cycle is failure to negotiate a corner, and I've seen it with road bikers also. Training and practice can make one more confident and a better rider.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,379 Posts
Well, going down Garvin isn't the place to try to hit a top speed, but I hit 47 before leaning a curve and both tires dry skid about right about an inch...backed off then.

I need to get back over to Winona and do some hills. Well, after I drop 30 pounds or so. Maybe next year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.