Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to attempt to make a playable resonator out of this.... thing.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,716 Posts
I'll stick with buying my guitars but I can't wait to see and hear what you do with this thing. Looking forward to you playing Romeo and Juliet. I started playing guitar about a year ago and I'm starting to be able to play with a low bleeding ear quotient fro the missus. Picking up a new guitar tomorrow. I'll buy mine thank you.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,716 Posts
And BTW BikeBoy has started a new career as a luthier.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
I spent a year making guitars out of trash.

All were playable with a slide.

Go. Man, go. We believe in you

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is pretty trashy. I’m not sure if it was an attempt to make an actual functional guitar or some kind of display piece. The metal work is bad, but I can fix that (remind me to post a picture of the Mjolnir my son and I made out of 1/8” flat steel). There are issues with the scale length and the fret placement, and there appears to be a failed attempt to relocate the frets. And they also apparently used an entire package of epoxy to glue the neck on, and it appears they fashioned the nut entirely from the same material. I think I’ll just saw the neck off and toss it. At the very least I’ll have to mess with the frets again, because if you look at the frets up past the 5th, the spacing is all over the place. I may have to modify the body to fit a neck because there isn’t much room for changing the scale length by moving the biscuit.

I dunno, I suppose I’ll spend Gretsch money and get something that plays as well as a First Act 🤣

I bought this on Shop Goodwill, I suppose I can buy a broken guitar for parts.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Came today finally. Some quality luthery went into this thing, I’ll tell you.

At least the neck block is made of mahogany. It’s held on by carriage bolts though, so yeah. The rest of it is pine, and the maker cut one piece too short so made up the difference with shims made of sandpaper.

You can’t make this stuff up. At least it was intonated somewhat correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Frog Whisperer
40,826 Posts
for reference, one of our own is a luthier... BikeBoy (and a number but I forget, although I do know his real name and his instagram page) I sent him a link

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for reference, one of our own is a luthier... BikeBoy (and a number but I forget, although I do know his real name and his instagram page) I sent him a link
I'm definitely not a luthier. I don't even play one in my own mind.

I see this as a challenge and a chance to learn something. It might work. Some drunken guitar buddies may have had some input on the decision to buy this :)

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,854 Posts
That looks like something my 4 year old made at Preschool....

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like something my 4 year old made at Preschool....
I’m not sure it rises to that level of quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
377 Posts
The damage from previous repair attempts are more of a challenge to overcome.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m thinking about how I’m going to proceed with this. The body is oil canning, and from what I understand, this wasn’t uncommon with National guitars in the 30s, and they fixed it by putting numerous support posts around the cone area to push it out. Also, the neck had an extension that went all the way through the body to the tailpiece, so it differs from a normal acoustic. The hole for the resonator is an oddball size, so I’ll probably have to enlarge it. A standard 9-10” cone won’t fit, but I can use a 7” dog bowl resonator if I enlarge the hole slightly.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,716 Posts
Wow.. I bought a bike that I was going to restore and gave up after 1 day of looking into the details. You should do the same IMHO. Even the Nut is a mess.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can relate to tumbling down the rabbit hole of a project. Financially, none of this makes sense of course, but the feeling of satisfaction is awesome when you solve the problems and complete--for about 15 seconds and then you're on to the next one. You can't stop now, you're too far in and I want to see it work!

By the way, how about that Mjolnir? A few years ago my son (~8 years old) was bored and decided to go 'prospecting' after seeing Yukon Cornelius on the TV. He quickly cleaned my toolbox of hammers, scattering them across the various snow/ice piles within a block of our house. When I found this out we welded together a prospector's axe out of some scrap I had in the garage. Certainly not much to look at but it has been scratching his prospecting itch ever since!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts